Fluctuating voltmeter and a dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
While driving. My voltmeter jumps up to 15-16 volts. Battery light comes on. This has been happening on and off for a few weeks. I didn't pay to much attention as it didn't really cause much of a problem. However, today my battery is completely dead. It would take take a few minutes to jump. But would stay running. Cleaned terminals and volts only went up to 14-15 and battery light would flicker. At first I figured it was a dead cell in the battery. As after every jump, when I turned off the truck. Checking the voltage it would read 10 or less. However after cleaning the terminals it stayed at 13, and was willing to kick over just a little more than before. It was a short trip. So I feel the battery got just a little charge. I have it on a charger now. Hoping to solve this problem as inexpensive as possible. As it's my daily for right now. And funds are to low to really by a replacement part. Ive heard grounds could be a possible problem. So I will check them as soon as possible.
Thanks for any advice.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would also like to know more about the volt meter. When I start my truck mine isn't even visible. I know my battery is good seeing as its only maybe two months old. What make the gauge do that?

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I always assumed it was just the gauge. Because no problems ever occurred from it. But now I'm sure it's causing a problem. A friend gave me a new battery. So I'm going to install that and see what happens. Hoping it solves my problems. Grounds look good. So, I'll just have to see.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Didn't notice this until after I pulled it out. Still having fluctuation with the new battery. But at least its working. I'm starting to assume I have multiple issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

slap

Reaction score
I would look into replacing that lead, I would guess you find the other end of that cable dirty as well. Sounds similar to issues I had, I had a dirty negative lead where it grounds near the bottom of the engine compartment.