F44 Heavy Duty Chassis Brake Part Numbers? This is driving me nuts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone explain SPECIFICALLY what is included in the F44 heavy duty chassis package on a 1991 c1500 2wd? The differences between heavy duty chassis and light duty chassis parts has bewildered the parts store clerks before (8 trips to the damn parts store to change front brake calipers and wheel bearings) so I have decided this time to order all my brake parts online.

The issue is, while rock auto is pretty good about specifying heavy duty chassis parts and light duty chassis parts, there are some that DON'T specify and I don't know if they are different or not.

So can anyone link to another site or another post that sets this straight? I've googled it, looked up the RPO code, etc and can't find a comprehensive list of what it entails. Most of the time it's just guys saying "F44 got the 12 bolt", and the next guy saying "No they didn't" and another "F44 was only on 4x4" and another going "No it wasn't"....not exactly helpful.

Thanks in advance.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
check out LMC website, you can enter your vin and see what you have,it is pretty good about defining the differences in the set up,,if i remember,,the outer bearing is different,,as you know the calipers,,and pads,,i have a 88 and it has the 14 bolt sf rear end with the heavy duty package as well,,but mine is considered a light duty 3/4 ton,,sorry not much ,,but it is a start,,

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check out LMC website, you can enter your vin and see what you have,it is pretty good about defining the differences in the set up,,if i remember,,the outer bearing is different,,as you know the calipers,,and pads,,i have a 88 and it has the 14 bolt sf rear end with the heavy duty package as well,,but mine is considered a light duty 3/4 ton,,sorry not much ,,but it is a start,,

Where can you put your vin in on LMC? And the F44 is an rpo code not a vin code so not sure the vin is capable of giving me what I need. I already decoded the vin.

LMC is helpful for specific parts though. Thanks.

Still just need to know what the specific parts were included in the package.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of going by the suspension package RPO code F44, go by the brake system package RPO. JB5, JB6, JB7, etc. will indicate what brake parts were used.

Richard

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of going by the suspension package RPO code F44, go by the brake system package RPO. JB5, JB6, JB7, etc. will indicate what brake parts were used.

Richard

Right on man, thank you. I'm JB5.

So I looked that up and found out JB5 is 6400lbs but I can't seem to find anything else. No brake parts are labeled according to RPO code. Is there a directory that indicated what PARTS were used in said package and not just their performance capacity?

You'd think with as many of these trucks as there are on the road it wouldn't be this complicated to find out what parts you need...I can't say I understand.

With rockauto, the parts will be listed by brand, some designate a cab size(regular vs extended) which seems irrelevant, most designate whether they are for heavy duty chassis or light duty chassis, but none at all say anything about JB5. 1 states it's got 7200 pound axle but that's about it there.

Amazon is way worse. It has almost no selection criteria.

I hate to go back to the parts store for brake parts. I would much prefer to buy Delco or a higher end brand online for less money than the cheap in-house brake brands they carry. If they order in delco parts they are 5x more expensive than online.

Last edited:

kiss4afrog

Reaction score
I have the F44 on my '88. In looking it up for the OP I see why there is all the confusion. They used the code for over three decades and the criteria changed all along the way so F44 for a mid 70's isn't the same as a mid '80s and different from '88 and different again in '91 or '92 that I came across and I stopped looking. Some it includes emission as the EPA had light duty as 6K lbs and less and needed an EGR and above (6,100 like a F44) didn't up untill somewhere in the '80s and then the bigger brakes that F44 should tell you are different from the regular or "light duty" 1500 pickups became standard around '92 on F44 and regular. Depending on the year the extended cab and bed can determine if has F44 option.

So that's why you can't figure it out. It's so random what was in the package over the years there isn't one answer. It's had to even figure it out for a specific model year.
I guess I've been lucky or the '88 is easier to figure out as I don't remember having problems getting brake parts. If you want Delco can't you just use the VIN on a GM parts site and then use that Delco number to order your parts or to crossover to what you want ??
That or go to a dealer with a short list and ask for an estimate (with part numbers :D ) Just so it isn't a laundry list and they aren't really busy they should be willing to help you out.
Like : http://www.acdelco.com/?seo=goo_|_[account+name]_|_ACDelco-Brand-Exact_|_Auto+Parts_|_ac%20delco%20parts

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that again, Richard. I was thinking B was hydraulic, and D was vacuum. I guess becasue my JB8s are hydraulic. Kind of odd that they didn't follow convention on that RPO and call them JD8.