Extremely Confused, NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Me too. I have one place that does all my machine work. 75 year old guy does it all by himself. He has not had a job come back in over 30 years. If its not right, it does not leave. If he did anything to mess your heads up, he would throw them away, buy you a new set, and start over. Prices are always reasonable too. He just enjoys fooling with the stuff.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
Me too. I have one place that does all my machine work. 75 year old guy does it all by himself. He has not had a job come back in over 30 years. If its not right, it does not leave. If he did anything to mess your heads up, he would throw them away, buy you a new set, and start over. Prices are always reasonable too. He just enjoys fooling with the stuff.

Wow, i wish i could find someone like that around here.

And yeah, its extremely annoying. I would have went back and said something, but i was about a month or two past there 1 year warranty, and didnt feel like getting screwed over again, so i went ahead and went to the better shop.

For you folks around Atlanta in Georgia, Allied Motor Parts is who did my heads the first time, and obviously didnt do them right. I went back to Dover Heads to get them redone.

So, another update!

Got the heads back this morning, looked nice and fresh. Took quite a bit of time to get everything back together, but I got everything installed, and cranked it right as the sun was going down. And it didnt even hesitate to start. Started with just a bump to the starter. Have a CEL on right now for the CPS code. Ill take it to a friend or shop tomorrow and get the timing set exact with a scanner, as thats what its coming up for. Ive got HPTuners software, but I'm not familiar with it yet so not sure if i can use it to get the distributor set perfectly. Also the top end is a little noisy, so ill take the VC's off tomorrow, now that the lifters are pumped back up and adjust the valves again.

Other than that, no leaks, no major ticks or knocks, and no scent of burning oil :peace:

Need to get it tuned again, but can already tell theres a difference in the 3 miles i drove.

gilmorec61

Reaction score
So, got the valves adjusted this morning, and the timing set dead on. Been driving it around today, and pulling my enclosed 14ft trailer loaded with lawn equipment with no problem. May have to adjust valves again, i have a bad tick on bank 1 (drivers side) could also possibly be a bad lifter, but i dont know at the moment. Also did find a oil leak, but dont know where its coming from. I assume its coming from the intake, but not sure. Will try to find where it is with engine cold tomorrow, and will retorque intake manny.

And best of all no smoking :)

Heres an exhaust video for yall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Lsjo9K-vs&feature=youtu.be