ext. cab window latch, vibrating gas gauge needle, squeaky engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burgett2103

Reaction score
Sorry of this is in the wrong category, i really couldn't figure out where to put it. Anyways, first problem i have is where can i get a replacement ext. cab window latch for the passenger side? Mine is broke and everything a door shuts the window pops open and slams shut.

Second problem, anybody ever have a rapidly vibrating gas gauge needle? This just started recently and it's quite annoying. When truck starts, gauge goes straight up to full and back to actual level in like .2 seconds and it's insane. And while truck is running it just vibrates non stop. Didn't know if a bad fuel level sensor or something would cause this, any help is appreciated.

Third problem, I am getting tired of my truck sounding like a POS. I had a cracked up serpentine belt so i replaced it and ever since i replaced the belt I have had engine squeaking. I wanna say the tensioner pulley squeaks, and then whatever the one on the very top right of the engine is that makes a constant like humming sound but not really a squeak. I'm just annoyed with these things and would love for my truck to not sound like a pos. Any help is appreciated.

Truck is a 98 K1500 Z71 with 5.7 vortec.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
You can get the window latch from LMC Truck but I'm sure there are plenty of other places that carry it too. The gas needle problem is the fuel level sending unit in the tank. Mine does that too, but I've just learned to live with it. As for the belt squeak, the tensioner and idler pulleys are the ones that most commonly go out. If you have AC, the top right pulley is for that

burgett2103

Reaction score
Can i replace A/C pulley alone or do I have to get an entire new unit? and it's either my tensioner or idler pulley that is squeaking. And thanks for the info, I figured it had something to do with something with fuel level. i'll check lmc for the latch, and i checked ebay earlier but didn't find one on there.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
looks like you only need part 14, but i guess it depends on what part of the latch broke...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the gauge bouncing or rapidly moving? There is a difference & both are different issues. If its just bouncing you can thank GM for a sloppy gas gauge, you'll never get that completely fixed. If its rapidly moving its usually the stepper motor for the gauge but also can be the fuel level sender

burgett2103

Reaction score
Sometimes it will randomly bounce, but it's pretty much just a constant vibration. and a dealership has something cheaper than somewhere else!?!?!? Can i separate the pulley from the a/c compressor or is it one big unit?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Not sure if you can separate the pulley or not, but the humming may just be the compressor running...have you tried listening when you have the AC turned off? That should help isolate the sound

bill9799

Reaction score
I'm going fuel gauge issues currently with my 98. It's had the vibrating need from about 1/2 tank and up but the last couple of weeks it jumps to different levels kind of like a twitch until you put it in gear then stays at one level. Damn thing showed half a tank the other day and it took 23 gallons