Exhaust situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know my cats are clogged. I drove with a misfire flashing check engine light and all when my intake gaskets were gone and a crossed plug wire. After fixing, it seems to run decent, but when im just crusing at like 50 and try and give it gas it kinda chugs and i gotta floor it to stop that so I think the gummed up cats are hurting the performance.

If I just cut out the cats and replace them will it be ok or is the muffler clogged too?

Also what are the ramifications of driving with clogged cats, its not gunna damage anything on the truck right?, maybe just kill a few trees :anitoof:

Last edited:

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
clogged cats can actually burn up your exhaust valve seals due to too much backpressure.. i would definitely fix it ASAP

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
****!!!

i got 2 hi flow thunderbolts sittin at home, you think just cutting out and replacing the plugged stockers will free it up enough

problem is im trying to save for my lift so im trying to get outta this cheap. can you unbolt the cat pipe and ram the stuff outta there. i just dont wanna take years off my life with that nasty dust and metal iin there.

edit: first ill try revving it up when its hot and beating the hell out of them with a mallet.

Last edited:

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
what me and a buddy did on his, was drill a few starter holes in teh side of his cat, sheet metal shears down the side of it, tore all the innards out, then welded the cat back up... but this was on a bronco, i havent messed with our cats to see how thick the metal is...

only thing about hollowing them out, is that you will throw an o2 sensor code when you do..

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just cut them off and replace them man! or the best way i have found to get them apart is a cut off wheel, then weld them back together. theres no point in having a lifted truck if it runs like ****, or not at all! put all your basic matinence first youll take longer to lift it but will be much more happy when its all done.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you unbolt the pipes containing the cats or is the only way to cut them off?

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
you can order stock replacement cats, which unbolts from the collector on the manifold, and the rest of the exhaust after the cat.... but i know on my s10 it was like 200 bucks for the stupid thing... i will go with high flow magnaflow cats when i get an exhaust put on this summer

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weld in two new magnaflow cats and call it a day or get a tune that deletes them and have them removed.

Reaction score
you can order stock replacement cats, which unbolts from the collector on the manifold, and the rest of the exhaust after the cat.... but i know on my s10 it was like 200 bucks for the stupid thing... i will go with high flow magnaflow cats when i get an exhaust put on this summer

For the 5.7L the stock replacement even aftermarket is like $350...

I have a junk cat too, I just plan on hollowing out the cats and making some DIY Mil-eliminators. The resistors and capacitors were like $10 at Radioshack.

Here the link I followed. Someone else had posted it on here a few weeks ago.

http://atomicinternet.homeip.net/teamneco/listHOW.asp?RecordID=8

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I just want to be clear on gutting them, I realize the check engine light will come on because of the rear o2's that check condition of cats. But as long as my front o2's are fine, the truck still should run fine?