Engine swap for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2po2watch

Reaction score
I have a 1996 C2500 6.5L 4L80E 14 bolt 3.73 gears. It has most of the popular upgrades/updates. We have a camper we want to tow. It is not happy above 45 mph. I am done messing with the 6.5. Does anyone here have experience with a turbo gas burner for towing? All advice appreciated.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How heavy is the camper? Granted it's been 20 years, but I had a 97 with a 454/4L80/4.10s and pulled great. Maybe why I have 2 now lol. Could try changing gears, but I haven't heard anyone that liked the 6.5...

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only experience I have with a 6.5 is in the newer M1151 up-armored HMMWV's. The ones they stuck in those did pretty good, and the M1151 with an armored turret on it was in the 10,000lb range for GVW. They were all in at about 65-70mph though.

A 454, without a turbo and with just minor performance mods, should be about double the HP and same or a little better torque than the 6.5. A turbo or supercharger on top of that would put you into some real good power production.

2po2watch

Reaction score
Yeah. The 6.5 is just gutless. I was considering a big block. I’m kinda more of a small block guy though. Maybe a turbo 5.3? Seems to be what everybody and their brother is doing. Haven’t really heard of anyone towing with one?
The camper isn’t too heavy (not sure of the exact weight) but it is pretty tall.

Last edited:

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are some upgrades for the 6.5 that make it avery nice runner. I've been north of 400hp and it was a pleasure to drive. Quadstar tuning offers some of the nicest tunes and turbos for the stock application, or you could go nuts like I did and centermount a k31 turbo from a 60 series detroit, go full mechanical pump, and enjoy power like a duramax has! Otherwise, I'd reccommend cummins power. But that's me. I'm diesel only.

2po2watch

Reaction score
My original plan was to Cummins swap it, but I have exhausted all possible sources for a motor anywhere near me. Maybe the better thing would be just sell it and go to a GMT800 with a 6.0? I hate t let go of it. It is in really nice shape.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried sourcing an engine from non-automotive sources? There's cummins engines everywhere, if you want em bad enough. I'm looking for an engine myself. The old 12v are getting more difficult to find... in my price range.

2po2watch

Reaction score
Yeah. I have a guy we get engines, transmissions and equipment from. He said yeah he might find one but I wouldn’t want to pay for it. He’s come up empty handed though. Unless you want a 24 valve. Not me. Been there had the VP44 headache.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. I have a 99 dodge that went thru so many vp44, I was able to swap pumps in 45 min, so I fully get the objection to them. Swap to a ve pump, you skip the problems. It's been done...

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fix what is wrong with the 6.5L, they aren't a power house, but they are a lot better than yours when everything is working correctly.

If it blows black smoke and the glow plugs dont work, check fuses in the underhood box. if ENG-I or ECM-I is blown, unplug your shorted out fuel heater (wire that goes to bottom of filter housing) and replace fuse. boost should return.

If TCC isnt locking, replace coolant sensor in the crossover, if this is bad it wont lock TCC, and timing will be advanced too much.