Engine stumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd first like to say thanks to everyone that welcomed me to this site last week. Now, I am seeking help for an issue I've been having. I have a '97 K1500 5.7 with 150K miles that seems to stumble or engine shudder at about 50 mph and then again at 60 mph when accelerating. Whatever it is that's happening is slight and is undetectable when on a bumpy road. A little over a year ago, I changed out the distributor because of an engine code I was getting...had to do with crank sensor/cam sensor correlation. I checked the crank sensor and it was fine, but the cam sensor in the distributor was borderline under spec, so I decided to change out the sensor.

Well, it didn't work and after clearing the codes, that same code came back!:wtf: So I read up a little and found that if the distributor gear is worn, there can be a discrepancy and cause that issue. I then replaced the distributor with a new AC delco unit...including cap and rotor. I cleared the codes and started her up and no check engine light. I then took it to a garage to have the timing checked and adjusted.

Sometime later, I noticed the above mentioned condition. There isn't any code associated with the stumble. I have also noticed that if driving at around 30 mph and then floor the pedal, all I get is the tranny downshifting and motor roaring but not the power it should have and it accelerates moderately. However, if I am at a dead stop and then floor the pedal, she squeals the tires and pulls hard.

Not sure what to do.....any suggestions?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Have you checked the wiring to the campus sensor? It may be fine, but the wires could be fvcked.

gm muscle

Reaction score
Yes, I checked the wiring and got the 5 volt reference. I then connected the sensor and back probed it. It only does it under the same conditions, so I'm not sure its wiring, but then again...I'm stumped.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Have you checked your plug wires?

I had one off, wedged between the manifold and the plug. I knew I had a slight miss, and it stumbled at certain speeds. It had the issue the whole 4 months I've owned it. Today I changed my plugs and noticed it. No miss or stumble under load now. I would check the wires, even if. They're new, could be burnt. Also, have you pulled the plugs to take a reading? They can tell you alot.

Still ran good to be on 7 cylinders... :nono:

gm muscle

Reaction score
No, I haven't done that....Plugs or wires. I guess I should check that out, since I have not done that since buying it at 105K; it now has 150K.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Yeah, I would check that first then. Will tell you if you have a misfire and on which cylinder.

gm muscle

Reaction score
I did replace the plugs and wires. The old plugs didn't seem out of the ordinary, with the exception of three plugs that were not gapped correctly. I drove it around a while and it seems as though it has more power and quicker response. It didn't seem to stumble/shudder. I will take it out to an open road or highway and try to recreate the same conditions. So far so good.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Glad to hear though man!
Keep us posted :deal:

Mine is so much better

I drove in the rain the first time since I've fixed it today....
:burnout: :eek:

gm muscle

Reaction score
Well, I spoke too soon! It did it again...I found that it does it during a moderate load.

Any ideas?