Engine Squeak - Engine Pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enrogersgm

Reaction score
Hey There,

I was hoping somebody could steer me in the right direction for a problem I'm having with my '97 4.3L, 123k miles. Just recently, my engine started making a sqeaking (chirping) noise from the pulley area of the engine. Here's the thing:

1. The belt is 2 months old
2. The belt tensioner, alternator and idler pulley have been replaced (my guesses were wrong! LOL)
3. There is NO wobble on the engine fan
4. My truck runs at the proper temp and does not leak coolant (I don't know if the water pump has been replaced or not)
5. There's also no slop in the bottom pulley that I can tell

Here's the thing: The noise seems to only happen when it is cold outside. I let the truck sit for a day and started it in the afternoon and it didn't sqeak once. It sounds to me like a bearing, but I'm starting to think it is condensation on the belt that is causing. It will go away after about 30 minutes of driving. The belt I installed is from Dayco I believe.

Since my drive is 15 minutes to work, it is very annoying for me since it chirps on down the road.

Has anybody out there have something similar happen? Do you think it is a bearing that is slowing going or just condensation on the belt?

Thanks!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I replaced everything that your's has had changed. Sounded the same as you describe. Turned out to be the last thing I changed. The power steering pump. And it didn't effect the steering either. Drove the same after, as it did before. But without thah dry bearing noise.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
try spraying some penetrating lube or something on the belt, or liquid dish soap it should help. My truck squeaks in the cold or damp for the first little while. I have also had alternators, tensioners and a/c compressors that cause squeak after theyve been replaced

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yup! My new P.S. pump makes a noise like a mini blower. Someone else on the forum has a new P.S. pump that also does that. Can't remember whom, though. Don't know how long it'll last like that, but it's been on there for about a year. Made that sound since the day it was put on. Drives fine, but I can sure hear it 'whirrrr' as I go up & down through the gears. Like to think that it makes that lil 4.3 sound (pffft!) intimidating! Lol!

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had a noise that was annoying as heck like that too. it was a solid squeak though. so i looked at everything and replaced alot. but turns out it was the PS pump. i got mine for 40 bucks with a 2 year warrenty. works like a charm. just try to listen where it is coming from.

Enrogersgm

Reaction score
If the power steering pump was bad, wouldn't it make more noise as you turned the steering wheel? Turning the steering wheel doesn't affect the noise at all. Just curious, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the help! It sounds like the noise is coming right between the fan shroud and top pulleys.

I am going to put some belt dressing on the belt to see if that does anything before I start pulling apart the fan shroud and really digging around.

Enrogersgm

Reaction score
Alright, I think I made some progress today. Removed the belt today and everything was good. Put everything back on, started the engine and it was quiet. Then, I revved the engine to about 1500 and started turn the wheel and darned if the engine didn't start chirping again! I take that means the power steering pump is going, right? I checked the fluid level and it was fine. Is that an easy fix to do at home? Thanks for all of the help!