engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Sounds like I have a loud lifter noise, When engine first starts ,Hear no noise
When engine starts to warm hear slight Noise ,when at full temp noise is at its loudess . Noise is only between 500 and 1800 rpm. I am only guessing at the noise being a lifter.
Any other suggestions before I take it apart.
Thanks in Advance

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Usually a lifter happens at the opposite time your describing, it ticks when you first start it then goes away once it gets enough oil pressure to expand it.

Before you start tearing down your engine, warm it up to when the noise is the worst then take off the serpentine belt and restart it momentarily to see if the noise is still present. Those symptoms sounds like a worn out accessory bearing heating up and making noise. You might get lucky and only need a $10 idler.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that
Ok I tried the warm up and loosened the serpentine belt - no change in noise.
Any guesses on what the noise might be.
Would a turned lifter (Roller) be damaged because the roller is not following the cam do damage to the cam or lifter.
Yester day I was getting on the expressway and at high rpm got miss firing. When I reduced Rpm when away.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that
Would a turned lifter (Roller) be damaged because the roller is not following the cam do damage to the cam or lifter.
Yester day I was getting on the expressway and at high rpm got miss firing. When I reduced Rpm when away.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running it at high rpm's is a good way to find the problem but it usually causes a lot more carnage or a catastrophic failure. LOL

A bad con rod bearing can quiet down with more rpm.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
A quick way to check lifters for significant wear/damage is to just pull the rocker covers and check and re-adjust valve lash. I assume you have a vortec since you said you have roller lifters? If one is giving you this significant of a problem (missing at high RPM) then there should be one valve that stands out from the rest when your adjusting them. There are tons of youtube videos and forum write-ups to guide you through this process if you haven't done it before. When your doing this, I would also write down on paper how many turns it takes to adjust each one of them.