engine missing, tach incorrect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
the coil module, but make sure that you have changed wires, cap, rotor, and plugs first. or you will wipe out a new one, who knows your old one may run a few more miles before it gives up?? i would carry a new one just in case it has bad timing!:hmm::hmm:

BubbaZ71Tahoe

Reaction score
alright thanks... i will try all that... trying to do it on the cheap so I can sell it..

oneluckypops

Reaction score
The P1345 Code is a cam/Crank correlation code, It usually sets when the Distributor has been installed incorrectly. Base Timing is all you can set on the Vortec 5.7, To do this you need to look at the Cam Retard it needs to be 0* +/- 2* but you must raise engine RPM's above 1500 for it to read correctly. I would suggest NOT to buy a cap and Rotor atleast not with out pulling the distributor to inspect the Drive gear, they are notourios for wear and also will cause these conditions.

There are 2 little notches or arrows in the inside of the dist. housing, roate the crank untill the Rotor is pointing to the first one (towards the front of the distributor, The other notch is for the 4.3) When the rotor is pointing to the notch in the distributor take notice to how the timing marks is alighned on the front of the engine, When everything is aligned correctly your P1345 code will only set if, 1. the cam sensor is faulty, 2. the crank sensor is faulty, 3. the drive gear on the distributor is worn. ALL of which can cause the tach to read Incorrectly.
If the distributor is worn DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A REMANED ONE, the parts stores sell they are crap, you can actually get a new aftermarket one that is aluminum off of ebay for 1/2 the price as the parts stores, it also will come with a quality cap and rotor with Brass terminals. Heres a link to the SAME distributor that i use for ALL my vehichles and customers, hell a quality cap and rotor at the parts store will cost this much. i will try to upload the proper install instructions for a distributor if you need them.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
These images are taken directly from alldata. I would reccomend Printing them ASAP because they will change what show up eventually, Or atleast they use to.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Timing Mark.jpg
    Timing Mark.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Distributor mark.jpg
    Distributor mark.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 37

BubbaZ71Tahoe

Reaction score
thanks... thats some great info...this truck has seen lots of mud so it wouldnt suprise me if one of the sensors is bad.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
There is no substitute for Diagnostics, Replacing parts that are NOT needed is obviously a waste of money and frustrating.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
There is no substitute for Diagnostics, Replacing parts that are NOT needed is obviously a waste of money and frustrating.

You are absolutely correct, but most of us do not have the money to pay the stealerships to learn diagnostics, It is easier to get input from those that have lived through this stuff

oneluckypops

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct, but most of us do not have the money to pay the stealerships to learn diagnostics, It is easier to get input from those that have lived through this stuff

HUH? Why do you need money to learn from the stealerships? I understand asking questions on the forums afterall thats what its for. You dont need money to diagnose a problem. Hell to be honest you dont even need extensive background in diagnostics, you can learn anything you will ever need to know right here on the internet.

For instance the images I uploaded are taken from alldata. Anyone can subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com with the subsription you get everything you ever need for diagnosing todays vehichles Except a scan tool (not a code reader) and even scan tools can be obtained off of ebay for a fairly cheap price. as far as sensors you can simply test them with a multimeter.

My point was to NOT throw money at a problem, but to find the cause and fix it. Trying this and that will cost you more in the long run.