Engine miss at idle when cold out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Kramer

Reaction score
Hello every one I have a 92 k1500 with 93000miles on it, just put a new engine in it back august, and during this winter I noticed when it was really cold out it would miss at idle when warming up, after it was warmed up it seemed to run fine, it's got new plugs. Not new wires yet, have not toutched the throttle body yet, could this be a idle air valve or possibly a timing issue not quite adjusted to zero, and one more thing I have not yet owned this truck for year yet so it's kinda new To me yet any suggestions ?

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Miss at idle when warming up. Hmm. Couple things to look at-
Idle Air Control Motor might be carbon'd up
Coolant Temp Sensor might be bad
Timing needs to be at 0
MAP sensor??? nice frozen air could be throwing the map for a loop.

Could just be the truck doesn't like the cold. Move it to someplace warm and sunny. Your truck deserves a nice warm vacation roflmao.. If its really cold (oh wait, Nebraska... yeah, too cold) get a block heater installed and use it. With my last 1500 I had, I had a factory block heater and hooked it up if it got down to the single digits. The engine ran a lot better and having semi-warm air within seconds of starting the truck was a big plus as well. With ethanol based fuels these days as well, they love to absorb water and condensation... Super cold night+moisture in fuel= possible cause. Run a bit of heat gas line antifreeze and see if it helps.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing to look at- Does your 92 still have the factory air filter assembly with the thermostat controlled hot air pipe coming off the passenger side manifold? Believe it or not, those help a good deal on cold starts. Down here in Florida most of us rig it so its always pulling from outside, but in cold climates, make sure its working and the hot air tube is hooked up. Saves you a bit on warm-up fuel costs as well.

Zach Kramer

Reaction score
I do still have the factory air cleaner on it yet but not sure if I had put the flex pipe back on any ya it's cold here in Nebraska lol I'll take a look at those things thanks !