Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i pulled the starter and had it tested otis testing okay but it will smoke and get way too hot it was smoking after the truck died
You posted otis testing what do you mean by this ?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok my bad, I see where you posted about the starter getting hot. With 3 pages of post, it is easy to loose track. Did the truck just start dying out of the blue, or did anything change just before this started happening? Like a repair or anything different that was done to the truck.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok my bad, I see where you posted about the starter getting hot. With 3 pages of post, it is easy to loose track. Did the truck just start dying out of the blue, or did anything change just before this started happening? Like a repair or anything different that was done to the truck.
no i haven't done anything to it before it started happeneing i had headers and exhaust done about two months ago but other than that no i haven't done anything. and yes it died out of the blue on my way home one night also it has been reading low oil pressure for about two weeks and the oil pressure gauge went out and the whole way home the night it died it didn't work and had a light saying check gauges. didn't notice it running bad or anything like that really on the way home maybe a little backfire but nothing too noticeable

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all of the charging system checks out, and the starter checks out, then none of this is the issue. If it dies, and then it spins over slow, (with starter, bat, and alt all being good) and low oil pressure, it sounds like the engine is starting to seize up on you. How many miles is one the engine. Also there is a low oil pressure switch that will stop the engine from self destructing. IDK this system very well. I have never had an issue with mine. I would want to know what my oil pressure is though. You could always install after market oil pressure gauge and see what is going on.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all of the charging system checks out, and the starter checks out, then none of this is the issue. If it dies, and then it spins over slow, (with starter, bat, and alt all being good) and low oil pressure, it sounds like the engine is starting to seize up on you. How many miles is one the engine. Also there is a low oil pressure switch that will stop the engine from self destructing. IDK this system very well. I have never had an issue with mine. I would want to know what my oil pressure is though. You could always install after market oil pressure gauge and see what is going on.
well i believe the low oil pressure is because the gauge is going out the same thing happened to dads it was barely reading any oil pressure and the gauge went out he bought a new one and he was reading good oil pressure so i'm thinking it's just the gauge. and when the truck started and ran it run great not like it was locking up or anything. it has 220k miles

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so good OP. Think about this, the starter is its own system, with a trigger wier to make it work. So why is it getting hot, and is this draining the battery. Is it a starter issue, or is it straining the starter because of engine issues. That was what I was thinking, when I asked about you OP.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so good OP. Think about this, the starter is its own system, with a trigger wier to make it work. So why is it getting hot, and is this draining the battery. Is it a starter issue, or is it straining the starter because of engine issues. That was what I was thinking, when I asked about you OP.
i'm thinking it is something to do with the starter because it could be getting constant power or the gear is staying engaged all the time burning it up causing it to get really hot plus draining the battery causing it to act dead and cut off

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree it does sound like starter issues. Thats why I asked if you had it tested. As for staying engaged, well normally you would be able to hear this. If there is some typy of short in the starter itself, it can cause the problems you are describing. Some times shorts are hard to pin point because it may not be shorted all of the time

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it does sound like starter issues. Thats why I asked if you had it tested. As for staying engaged, well normally you would be able to hear this. If there is some typy of short in the starter itself, it can cause the problems you are describing. Some times shorts are hard to pin point because it may not be shorted all of the time
what does it sound like when the starter is stuck? because my truck fired up and it is making a terrible screeching sound like metal grinding or something but still runs

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A high pitch wine, like you said a screeching sound. If you keep holding the key after the truck is started, the starter will stay engaged, and you can hear for your self what it sounds like. If nothing changes when you do this (hold the key in the start position) then you know the starter is sticking. And that would be the bendix sticking. I never just replace a bendix though. On a GM it is on the starter any way, and I figure, if the bendix is bad, what shape is the starter in. Oh and always ask for a new starter, not a rebuilt. A rebuilt is an old starter that has been repaired and cleaned up, and maybe some new paint. Here is a good video on shimming a starter in case you need to replace your starter and the new one need to be shimmed. Eric the car guy, is the bomb.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media