Engine Acting Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, so I've had this issue for a while. My idle seems really rough. It sounds ok, not really popping or anything, but my entire truck vibrates when I'm stopped while in drive, the minute I get off the brakes, it smoothes out. Also, it bounces between 600-800 RPM, and sometimes it sounds like it's gonna die.
Also, sometimes when I put it in park, it usually idles around 800 RPM, but today and sometimes, it slowly bounces around between 1000-1500 RPM. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I put some seafoam in it a while back, and it didn't smoke much.

Also, have any of you cleaned your in-line fuel filter? I'm pretty sure mine hasn't been touched in a long time. Thanks everybody.

ald94

Reaction score
To me it sounds like you might have a vacume leak. Check all your hoses to see if they are all conected properly. I would replace the fuel filter and check the spark plugs and wires as well. Hope this helps some.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Thanks, I haven't done too much technical stuff with engines to know how to diagnose......yet. Plugs were changed last year, so they should still be fine, but I'll try the other stuff and if that doesn't work, then I'll give that a shot too. Thanks!!! Anybody else?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Has it thrown any codes? To me it sounds like a stuck poppet, the spider injection is under the upper pleneum and the poppets are bad about sticking. Pull your plugs and those tell you what cylinder is misfiring.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, so how do I tell which is misfiring and also how do I go about unsticking this poppet? Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions, just never really gone into the engine area much so far.

Would this also cause the RPM stuff, or just rough idle?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Just talked to the mechanic down in LA that used to own the truck. He said it sounds like either a bad brake booster, or a throttle body gasket leak. Anybody know the part # or company that makes the gasket? It's the one between the throttle body and the intake manifold. I'm thinking he's right, because it smooths out when I get off the brakes, and runs fine, so it's one of those two. I'll let you guys know if I figure it out.

sniperdude

Reaction score
They sell it at rockauto.com under fuel & air -> throttle body gasket.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, so I changed my throttle body gasket, and that took care of it. It's amazing, it now idles so smoothly that I keep thinking it has stalled. Gotta let you guys know, if you're ever in the Southern California area, and need a GREAT mechanic, Danny at J & D Automotive in Whittier, CA is great. He was the one who not only knew it was a vacuum leak, but he also said it was most likely the throttle body gasket. He knows his stuff!