eletrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Okay guys so i followed east302's dash removal guide to replace my evaporator core. Well ive got everything back together everything but the rpm, mph and the gear light work just fine. Ive got a kendwood radio in it and its saying bad wiring check wiring then power on. When goijg back with the dash i double And triple checked everything, didnt notice any unplugged connections or anything. Does anyone have any ideas ?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the tach, speedometer, gear indicators plus the radio don’t work?

You swapped the original harness over to the donor dash?

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Thats correct and i kept the same dash, i was doing the ac evaporator core, heater core and the actuators.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
So the tach, speedometer, gear indicators plus the radio don’t work?

You swapped the original harness over to the donor dash?
By the way great great write up you done on removing the dash. Made it so much eaiser knowing the steps instead of guessing step by step

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, completely missed the part about the evaporator core. So you disconnected the wires at the firewall (under the booster) and pulled the whole dash out?

The gauge cluster and radio diagrams are below. It looks like they’re all directly back to the fuse panel so no connectors in between except for the one that the cluster snaps into in the dash face. Any blown fuses (particularly fuse #20 for the gauges)?

Antenna is plugged in at the radio and back at the firewall under the coolant reservoir? By the way, make sure you get that antenna grommet back in or it will leak rain in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gear indicators PRNDL are below. Do any light up or are they on but just inaccurate? It’s all from fuse #20.

Factory radio...

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Ill check that fuse when i get a chance to, the gear indicator it was radom. Once it didnt come on at all the second time i came on and was inaccurate, also the speedometer would randomly have a mind of its on. Note ive only driven a 20 minutes since i put the dash back in it

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shift cable may be on its way out. Check YouTube for videos, but you can check the adjustment in case something got messed up somehow.

The cable connects at the driver side of the transmission.

There is a slide collar at the end of the cable - slide it forward to expose the white clip.

Pull the clip about halfway out (not all the way) and with the column shift lever in park rotate the shift lever on the transmission clockwise (looking at it from the driver side) as far as it will go.

The manual then says to shift the column lever from park to 1st several times, but it may not go into all gears. Put back in park, make sure the transmission lever is all the way clockwise and then push the white clip in to lock the cable. See if the light matches all gear positions then.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Well i checked the fuse and its good. Going to pull the radio out and check all the connections there today.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Found these two back behind the radio. Any idea where they go?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black one looks like the connector between the radio to a remote tape/CD player in the pocket under the HVAC panel. It’s ok to be left alone.

Gray one looks like the one to the HVAC controller.