EGR Valve??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper700t

Reaction score
I have a 98 chev with the 5.7 and im having some problems with my EGR. The light kept coming on so i decided to buy a new EGR valve however it never help. The light came back on so we looked into it and the computer is showing that it is stuck open. It was reading 16 on the scanner when it was sapose to be reading 0. So what could cause this since i have a new EGR on it? Could it be the connector because there is some corrosion in the plug or could it be the wires...let me know what you think. Any suggestion right now will help. Want to get this figured out!!

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
did you replace the vacuum silenoid too? i had the same issue and ended up being told that u need to replace them both

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no separate EGR vacuum solenoid on a '98. the EGR system is different on the vortecs than the TBIs

OP, you mentioned corrosion on the connector? do you have a picture of this or anything?

is the EGR valve you got actually new, like completely in the box sealed and new, or is it a used replacement or something?

is the truck running poorly at idle?

viper700t

Reaction score
im not exactly sure what egr valve it is..it was one that the local auto parts store had..didnt know there was different kinds..is there a difference between brands and if so what is the better one? i will check later when i go home to the truck and see what kind it is..

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delphi is probably your best bet on a good one, or ACDelco. The cheaper ones don't always perform properly, or as long as OE. You said you're getting a CEL. What code is it that you are getting? Pintle position perhaps?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
im not exactly sure what egr valve it is..it was one that the local auto parts store had..didnt know there was different kinds..is there a difference between brands and if so what is the better one? i will check later when i go home to the truck and see what kind it is..

The store brands are particularly crappy when it comes to EGR valves. Go Delphi or AC Delco.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since this is the egr thread i have a 97 vortec with code number 1406 which is the egr pintle position circuit. What to do?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull it and clean it. If that doesn't help, replace it.