EFI on 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Chevy5.7

Reaction score
Can you put EFI V 7.5 on the 5.7 Vortec, I've seen it mentioned before. I have access to the one I had on my Duramax, so if I can tune my 5.7 with that it would be awesome.
Thanks,
Jake

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats "EFI V 7.5"? is that like an old version of EFILive (I.e. V4-V5-V6)?
also what year truck are you trying to tune? if its one of the '96's in your signature than really the only things that can tune them are tunercats II, or Jet DST, and Tunercats is good but isn't available anymore unless you find it used, and Jet is a poorly supported product that I wouldn't waste my money on. if you swap out your PCM to a 12200411, then you can use the better tuning suites out there like EFILive V1 or V2, or HPT.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought u could tune any of the vortecs with the EFI live, that is some good tunning but expensive. you could get some blackbear tunning but unless you have motor work or a forced air induction there is no need. you can get buy with a programmer

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought u could tune any of the vortecs with the EFI live, that is some good tunning but expensive. you could get some blackbear tunning but unless you have motor work or a forced air induction there is no need. you can get buy with a programmer

nope, for the blackbox PCMs only the 98+ can be tuned and only with EFILive V2. if you swap the PCM to a 411 on any vortec, then you can tune it with EFILive V1 or V2.

yes you could get a blackbear or other mail order tune on it, and a good tune will benefit you whether your stock or not, you don't need motor work or forced induction to get a gain from a tune, even if you were 100% stock it would be worth it. but don't waste your money on a handheld programmer, they are practically just as expensive as a custom tune, and offer minimal if any gains.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
V 7.5 is the software version I think, I meant to put the V2 controller, my bad.

ah, okay that makes sense, then yeah V2 will work, but not on a '96 PCM. get that swapped out to a 411 and you will be golden though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
nope, for the blackbox PCMs only the 98+ can be tuned and only with EFILive V2. if you swap the PCM to a 411 on any vortec, then you can tune it with EFILive V1 or V2.

yes you could get a blackbear or other mail order tune on it, and a good tune will benefit you whether your stock or not, you don't need motor work or forced induction to get a gain from a tune, even if you were 100% stock it would be worth it. but don't waste your money on a handheld programmer, they are practically just as expensive as a custom tune, and offer minimal if any gains.
I agree, hand held tuner's are only good for making gear and tire size changes, otherwise they are nearly worthless!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, hand held tuner's are only good for making gear and tire size changes, otherwise they are nearly worthless!

WAY back in the day I had one I was experimenting with and it caused more problems than anything, even on a totally stock motor. unless you're changing tire size and gear ratios every month, a custom tune with free updates would still be better, or even better than that is EFILive and tuning it yourself.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah definitly, I need to learn about EFI live and get started doing my own tuning, just like now, I am saving money because I can't afford my tune yet.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitly, I need to learn about EFI live and get started doing my own tuning, just like now, I am saving money because I can't afford my tune yet.

tuning yourself is SO MUCH fun. I love it. at least with OBDII, I've never done anything OBDI, I hear it can be pretty frustrating since the OBDI controls are pretty primitive and be hard to control alot of things.