Ecm swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So i decided to try somthing. My obd2 dosent work so i took a ecm from a 97 tahoe and put it in my 97 pick up. Now realistically it shouldn't work cause its not flashed for my truck. But it works in the truck even better then the one originally in it. Im still having no luck on the obd2 connecting. How hard is it to replace the obd2 harness. Thank yall

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I do not know about changing the obd2 harness you may need to change the whole cab harness to do so also you can put any pcm from a 96 or a 97 in your truck as long as it is from a truck tahoe/yukon or suburban that has a 350 and 4l60e 96-97 black box pcms 5 plugs have anti theft 98+ black box pcms 4 plugs have VATS/paslock you can not use one of these with out having the anti theft disabled by tuning and you will need to re-pin the harness I think that is why when people want to swap pcms in a 96 or 97 they skip the 98+ black box and go right to the 0411 swap

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I do not know about changing the obd2 harness you may need to change the whole cab harness to do so also you can put any pcm from a 96 or a 97 in your truck as long as it is from a truck tahoe/yukon or suburban that has a 350 and 4l60e 96-97 black box pcms 5 plugs have anti theft 98+ black box pcms 4 plugs have VATS/paslock you can not use one of these with out having the anti theft disabled by tuning and you will need to re-pin the harness I think that is why when people want to swap pcms in a 96 or 97 they skip the 98+ black box and go right to the 0411 swap
Oh ok. I really dont wanna do a cab harness swap. I really dont have the knowledge either im 16 just about out of highschool. Only vehicle i have so i cant park it to work on it. Its for sure a daily driver. Its moving every day.. idk saving for another truck so we will see the outcome.

99xcss4

Reaction score
yeah changing a cab harness is not simple I think I am going to have to do it on frank'n truck I was only speculating you might be able to change obd2 part with out changing the whole cab/under dash harness hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
yeah changing a cab harness is not simple I think I am going to have to do it on frank'n truck I was only speculating you might be able to change obd2 part with out changing the whole cab/under dash harness hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in
Yea cause the port has power i think its between the ecm and the port thats messed up somewhere. But for me harnesses are like staring into the human brain.

99xcss4

Reaction score
agree there 90s and older is not too bad but once you get into the 2000s+ I do not understand it at all

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score