E brake light staying on SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I had this issue on my last truck (93). I ended up disconnecting the RWAL black box, and the e brake light turned off. I spent months looking for a functioning black box, couldn't find one, and gave up.

So I got this new truck last year (94), took the cluster out, replaced a bunch of bulbs, and noticed that my E brake light stayed on again. Being the expert that I am, I just unplug the black box, but it didn't solve my issue. I did notice that in my last vehicle, The E brake light was dim, and once applying the E break, would brigen further. But this vehicle, the light was as bright as it could get, and applying the E break didn't brighten it anymore. I checked around for a Siezed e break, and I made sure that my E brake pedal was in the Fully disengaged position, but still no luck.

I then went under the hood and started disconnecting the sensors going to the black box. And the light was still on! I noticed a little tiny plug on top of the proportioning valve. I unplugged it, and the light went off. OK, I just left it like that for a few months.

Fast forward a couple of months, I took off my rear drums, and noticed that the shoes were completely cracked and in one instance almost broken in half. The rear brakes were so seized that I had to use a blowtorch on the toothed adjusters, and I had to replace the wheel cylinder, and both hardlines going to the rear brakes. The first time I bled the brakes, I didn't do a very good job. I noticed my E brake light will turn on and off if I pump the brakes. After properly bleeding the brakes, I noticed that my E brake light turned off.

My guess is what happens in the end, is that there is a little tiny sensor inside the proportional valve, and if it is maxed out or all the way to one side, it will throw a brake code. I remember on my old truck, 1993, there was actually a way of diagnosing a lit e break light. It almost behaved like a check engine light if I remember correctly.

Anyways, I know this is a bit of an essay, but hopefully it helps someone. The first thing to note, is if the light is dim or brightly lit, and then go from there. I guess this truck I'm driving hasn't had a rear brakes since I've owned it.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So wait a minute. The light was on because something was wrong with the brakes? Get out of here!! That's unheard of.

Hey man these are old trucks. Most people think a lit brake light is for the e brake only. I know you are being sarcastic but I guarantee this post will help someone :)

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
That light is there to indicate any problem with the braking system not related to the ABS system, AND to indicate that the parking brake is engaged.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I don't consider these trucks to be old at all haha. Ever since dual channel braking become common place in the late 60's, they've had a brake light which was triggered by the shuttle valve like lxe4 mentioned. My '69 Plymouth had that.
The dim light you mention for the brake system is actually a code set by the ABS system. I haven't looked at shop manual in awhile but IIRC there were three brightness settings for it. Dim, medium dim and fully lit. Hard to decipher, yes. But, I'd still wager to say that is pretty sophisticated for 1988. I had the same issue with my '88 C3500. Only the guy cut one of the wires going to the black box to shut the light off. After following the diagnosis I slapped a new box on it, no more dim brake light.