Duramax!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finn5021

Reaction score
Hey guys, im looking for some thoughts on a duramax/allison swap into a k2500 crew. Can it or has it been done? What are your thoughts and opinions? Thanks

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont get me wrong i love the duramax motor it is one of the best diesel motors yet. but i personally would go with the 12valve cummins.. it would have a lot less electronics to mess with. and if you do still go with the damx put a built tranny in it. cause once you put that diesel in it you will wanna mod it a little

finn5021

Reaction score
yeah i understand about the mods....stock is no fun! The cummins is a true monster and would be cool to see but for me, i would like to stay with the GM platform.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont blame you... well your gonna need the motor tranny transfer case and probably both drive shafts ( not sure if the tranny and transfer case ar longer than yours or not) you will need all the electronics and a lot of time... and so gooe fabricating skills

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive heard putting a Dmax in anything then what it was designed to go into is a universe sized pain in the ass. The electronics are horrid, I too vote for the Cummins. If you are decided on the Dmax, please start a build thread, it would be cool to see on in our trucks!!

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also you are gonna need a new fuel tank (unless yours is a 6.5) or any other kind of diesel. trust me id love to put a damx in my truck. but in all honesty a 12v cummins is much more practical

finn5021

Reaction score
Yeah the down side to the dmax would by far be the electronics. It seems the 12v is the obvious choice but im a fairly hard headed irishman, im still kind of hung up on that duramax obs. You guys are making me think about it though.

fishy

Reaction score
best way to do a dirty max swap would be with a donor truck with all the harness and modules. i would love an obs with the duramax but even a smashed newer diesel here is a lot more money than i got right now