Dumb Question: Cranking Keys without front end lifted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm a retard I guess...

I have never lifted my front end on any of my trucks when cranking the keys, always just got on the ground and started cranking. What implications does this cause? Have I messed something up?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
No your doing it right. I never lift it for cranking. Just measure from center of rim to fender on both sides and make sure your on flat ground. Drive around a little then recheck because it will settle.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Oh cool - awesome. I have always done it that way but I read a thread today that you should lift the front end off the ground till your tires don't touch the ground anymore, then crank. I was like.. uhhhhhhhh

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It makes it easier to turn when you have the truck picked up! Just have to count your turns. Make sure they're exactly the same

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
But the amount of turns doesn't really apply because the bars fatigue at different rates. They are easy to turn no matter what unless you have a disability or something. You want to adjust and measure each side until it's the exact same.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I just jack mine just jack mine up so i dont break the bolts off lol i count turns and thats close enough for me if somone goes around and measure my fenders to make sure theyre the same thats just too bad i guess

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I did mine on the ground, But I measure the fender height from the ground to the lip. My driveway and the shop floor at work are pretty level