Dual batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was there a factory dual battery setup in 88? I mean 2 12 volt batteries hooked in parallel. If so could some please share pictures? Since I live in a cold climate I could see this being a big advantage. You double the CCA’s with batteries hooked in parallel.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hammered the end of my battery tray flat, converted to top post, and installed Wal-Mart's 850 CCA battery. I'm in a warmer climate (except for this week, wtf?), and I wanted a battery that I wouldn't have to worry about.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ttery-Group-Size-65N-12-Volt-850-CCA/20703125

I have thought about a backup battery, and there are battery isolators you can buy, but your best bet is to hit up 5vortec7 on his For Sale thread for a big-3 dual battery kit.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/big-3-and-dual-battery-kits.41818/

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hammered the end of my battery tray flat, converted to top post, and installed Wal-Mart's 850 CCA battery. I'm in a warmer climate (except for this week, wtf?), and I wanted a battery that I wouldn't have to worry about.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ttery-Group-Size-65N-12-Volt-850-CCA/20703125

I have thought about a backup battery, and there are battery isolators you can buy, but your best bet is to hit up 5vortec7 on his For Sale thread for a big-3 dual battery kit.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/big-3-and-dual-battery-kits.41818/

If you go for a dual battery set up do the batteries have to be the same type? Meaning same battery, same size , same brand, same cca?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go for a dual battery set up do the batteries have to be the same type? Meaning same battery, same size , same brand, same cca?

I don’t think so, but every setup I’ve had on farm tractors and big trucks I’ve always had 2 identical. Hooked in parallel the CCA’s are combined. Hooked in series the voltage is combined. I converted several John Deere tractors that had the factory (2) 6 volt wired in series setup to (2) 12 volts in parallel with (2) cables directly to the starter. Made a huge difference, no more cold start problems.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I have dual batteries in my 89 snow plow truck. It has two trays but I'm not sure if the drivers side is original to the truck or if it came out of a different year.

And no, you dont have to run the same battery... I throw in whatever still has a charge from the tractors I park for the winter. This has not let me down for around 10 years. But I also have a battery cutoff switch in the cab that I turn off after plowing to keep them from discharging when sitting between snow storms.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have dual batteries in my 89 snow plow truck. It has two trays but I'm not sure if the drivers side is original to the truck or if it came out of a different year.

And no, you dont have to run the same battery... I throw in whatever still has a charge from the tractors I park for the winter. This has not let me down for around 10 years. But I also have a battery cutoff switch in the cab that I turn off after plowing to keep them from discharging when sitting between snow storms.
So you’ve got 1 battery on each side of engine compartment? And 2 starter cables?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
One on each side of the compartment and the drivers side positive cable goes straight to the positive terminal on the pass side battery. And both negatives goes to the battery cutoff in the cab.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual batteries is an option on the 1 ton, though the factory wiring goes 1 wire from Aux battery to primary battery, and 1 wire to the starter.

That bring said, I put duals on my '88 1500 plow truck. With both positive battery cables going directly to the starter... and 2 wires from the charging stud on the alternator, 1 to each battery.

The factory installed an empty second tray on my '98 2500 Suburban. So I decided to throw one in there. I interrupted the cable going across the radiator shroud to the driver side power junction box, putting it to the pos. terminal instead. Then another one to the aforementioned junction box.

There really is no wrong way to install a 2nd battery, unless you leave the positive cable in an unsecured fashion that lets it get damaged or melted.

As for battery type, as long as they're both lead/acid, they'll charge fine. Just dont mix in a AGM and a wet cell.