Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the 3" Borla Pro XS over this Pro Flo "performance" muffler. Along with the high flow cat (on the left) it's pretty loud and added a few ponies for sure :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Dual magnaflows. Very reasonable sound level, but a bit loud to hold a conversation with people in the back seat. Had turbo mufflers before on a trans am and actually thought they were decent. Not loud until wot. Had a set of glasspacks on a big block, and it was almost same as open headers(468 with a blower). Trying other combinations of mufflers and resonators now.

Where is your gas tank???

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Van was and still is dual 3 to the muffler. Looks big even compared to the 2.75" truck stuff. Huge pipes compared to the ones on my 99 Tahoe. 99 Tahoe was a dog though. Factory to factory the van came close to being able to outrun it despite being 1,000 lbs heavier with the same trans and same rear gear. The 99 Tahoe was pretty detuned though and had an EGR diffuser that was 2x as wide as the vans. Factory Tahoe tune had 6-8° less timing at WOT down in the 1,000-2,800 rpm range too. Removed the diffuser lip and gave it a good tune and the Tahoe came alive though even with the small pipes.
What is an EGR diffuser?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Dual magnaflows. Very reasonable sound level, but a bit loud to hold a conversation with people in the back seat. Had turbo mufflers before on a trans am and actually thought they were decent. Not loud until wot. Had a set of glasspacks on a big block, and it was almost same as open headers(468 with a blower). Trying other combinations of mufflers and resonators now.
Angling the turn downs toward each other about 45 degrees can cut the sound a bunch.

Basically you angle them so if they were extended to the ground they would meet in the center.

This helps to cancel out some of the more resonant tones.

Made a world of difference on my 77 C20.

Full tailpipes and an H or an X pipe can help loads as well.

If it's STILL too loud add some glass packs as resonators.

Glasspacks are terrible mufflers but they are great resonators.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Angling the turn downs toward each other about 45 degrees can cut the sound a bunch.

Basically you angle them so if they were extended to the ground they would meet in the center.

This helps to cancel out some of the more resonant tones.

Made a world of difference on my 77 C20.

Full tailpipes and an H or an X pipe can help loads as well.

If it's STILL too loud add some glass packs as resonators.

Glasspacks are terrible mufflers but they are great resonators.
Ended up changing the mufflers, adding two resonators, and getting the exhaust out the back. Really wanted to add v band flanges on the headers, but not enough space to weld them in place.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be alright. I'm in the process of a 96 7.3 F-350 dually build to tow all my toys with, the Chevy is gonna be my weekend cruiser. Call me a child if you want but I'm just trying to get more noise without just going open headers haha
I'm about $300 into my gf Yukon exhaust, long tubes with 1 7/8 ports to 3", 3" y pipe and all 3" with TWO knock off single chamber mufflers. Sounds awesome, "almost" too loud for daily driving, but the good part is I didn't do it for sound, it's proven power that way on a LS. I'm sooooo tired of hearing the garbage straight pipes ppl here are running, one guy with a 4.8 no cats,no mufflers stock y and out to duals ,on each side of truck, or the guy down the road true duals 3" on a 6.0....straight garbage and can u say SLOW??? The 6.0 can hardly get out of its own way! Lotsa guys running 5.7s with nothing in-between nd it's all noise and no go. I had to make a point with my gf Yukon, dynoed at 406 rwhp about 2 weeks ago. Only bolt ons and my time tuning it. Do urself (and everyone around u ) a favor, get a cutout, and for the love of God put a muffler on ur truck!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife’s dually has the diamond eye 4 inch all the way back with no muffler. Nobody ever upgraded the crossover pipe. It’s getting replaced next.
Unless its been changed the downpipe is only 3 inch the where the cat is/was is 4 inch back. I have the same system on my 6.5. To bad they have quit making it. It is amazing how much different the truck felt with just the exhaust change.