Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tightened up a bunch of loose header and collector bolts, that seems to have been the tick culprit. So that's good.
Took it out cruising with my youngest, turned the A/C on, it actually blew 1/2 ass cold. But I know it needs a recharge but last time, 2000ish I got it done with R12 as I didn't wanna spend the money then to convert to whatever the new stuff is.

Now this is where it gets weird.

Turned the max button on and all of a sudden it starts banging under the dash. Regardless of fan speed. So I turn the max button off, still there. Turn the whole system off, it goes away.
Back on, noise is gone.
I pull into the driveway and the boy is there, I say hey, listen to this. Did the same thing.

Now the weirdest part.
Turn the truck off, and the noise comes back, and stays on for about 30 seconds!!
Now I'm confused/mad/worried!!

Any ideas????
I may post a new thread about it in the appropriate section if I don't get any feedback.

And I "got on it" a bunch, trying to see if I could get the engine to throw a code, nope, so the new O2 sensor seems to have fixed that.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tightened up a bunch of loose header and collector bolts, that seems to have been the tick culprit. So that's good.
Took it out cruising with my youngest, turned the A/C on, it actually blew 1/2 ass cold. But I know it needs a recharge but last time, 2000ish I got it done with R12 as I didn't wanna spend the money then to convert to whatever the new stuff is.

Now this is where it gets weird.

Turned the max button on and all of a sudden it starts banging under the dash. Regardless of fan speed. So I turn the max button off, still there. Turn the whole system off, it goes away.
Back on, noise is gone.
I pull into the driveway and the boy is there, I say hey, listen to this. Did the same thing.

Now the weirdest part.
Turn the truck off, and the noise comes back, and stays on for about 30 seconds!!
Now I'm confused/mad/worried!!

Any ideas????
I may post a new thread about it in the appropriate section if I don't get any feedback.

And I "got on it" a bunch, trying to see if I could get the engine to throw a code, nope, so the new O2 sensor seems to have fixed that.
Either mode or blend door actuator. One of those changes position when the key is turned off.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either mode or blend door actuator. One of those changes position when the key is turned off.
Thanks. That seams to make sense. As the max button would move a door.
But when I just went and pulled the truck into the garage, the A/C system was all turned off, and it started ticking again for about 10 seconds then stopped, and then started again after I shut it off.
Gonna start diving into any info on the doors as I can find.
Thanks for the lead.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second this as it returns to start position after key is turned off. I think it is blend actuator, so at least it is in the front so easier to get at.
That's good!!! I am dreading the thought of tearing the whole dash apart!
Just odd that it started a week after I did the stereo install.
Wonder if I could have messed something up, but only messed around with the wiring harness for the stereo.
Either a coincidence or I did something.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if I could have messed something up, but only messed around with the wiring harness for the stereo.
It's directly behind the stereo, so you could have bumped a 'ready to fail' actuator and triggered it's demise.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, probably coincidence. The motors should be accessible without removing the entire dash. That clicking noise comes from the plastic teeth breaking off of the gear set inside the actuators.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you possibly get your stereo wiring caught up in it? Remembering back I think it is the mode door that changes position when the key is turned off. It switches to vent which I thought was strange because if there were a malfunction in the control head you wouldn't have defrost which the old vacuum systems defaulted to.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you possibly get your stereo wiring caught up in it? Remembering back I think it is the mode door that changes position when the key is turned off. It switches to vent which I thought was strange because if there were a malfunction in the control head you wouldn't have defrost which the old vacuum systems defaulted to.
Definitely gonna double and triple check what work I did, check all the wire routing. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely gonna double and triple check what work I did, check all the wire routing. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.
Mine is a 1988 and had been clunking every time I turned the key on and off since I got it 8 years ago. Then one cold morning there was no clunking, and no hot air. The little plastic teeth break off and no longer turn the actuator door. When you remove the stereo/vent panel in the centre of the dash it is right there so easy to get at.