Driver window won’t go down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500. My driver window started actin funny lately. Every now and then it’ll work and roll down and up but minute later I try to do it it won’t even go down. It’s onlu the driver side and it’s getting worse. What could be the problem?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to play with it. Does it try to go down but hang up? Probably the regulator. Does it not even try? Probably the switch. Take the door panel off, play with it, use a test light to check for voltage.

aaron33

Reaction score
You need to replace the regulator(the motor with gear). They over heat and stop. Will work again once cooled. Ebay or Amazon $30

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the window motors run from a self-resetting circuit breaker, or a fuse?

If it's a self-resetting circuit breaker, it'll pop from high amperage, the window motors go dead, but when the circuit breaker cools and re-sets, everything is fine again.

Do the OTHER windows work when the driver's window doesn't?

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the window motors run from a self-resetting circuit breaker, or a fuse?

If it's a self-resetting circuit breaker, it'll pop from high amperage, the window motors go dead, but when the circuit breaker cools and re-sets, everything is fine again.

Do the OTHER windows work when the driver's window doesn't?
Yes all the other window works fine 24/7. The driver has completely stopped working now it won’t roll up or down at all

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best you can hope for is that the switch has failed. If the switch can be removed without taking the whole door-panel off, I'd start there with jumper wires and a test-light.

Failing that, the door panel comes off, and you investigate with that test-light, maybe a voltmeter, and some jumper wires. Once the door panel is off, about the first thing to check is to supply power/ground to the motor to see if the motor has died.

Of course, look at the mechanism to see if there's something that could jam the window in place.

No doubt the service manual has a trouble-shooting chart and procedure suggestions.