doors keep randomly locking/unlocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCNO

Reaction score
Ive got a 99 2500 with power locks and keyless entry. I went outside earlier and as I walked past my truck i realized the doors locked, then a few seconds later they unlocked. I had no key or transponder in my pocket, it was laying on the floor board at the time. I removed the key an put it in my hand, went in an took the key/transponder from my wife purse thinking it was hitting something. I walked back out to the truck and it didnt do it again. Okay, no big deal, the key hit something in her purse. Brought my wife out to supper an when I got home a few minutes ago, I walked passed my truck and realized it did it again! took the keys in my hand (both sets) and it unlocked on its own. Wth? I removed the batterys from the transponders and it still did it so I know at this point its not the problem. I disconnected the battery so it wont die and came here to search....
I did realize that when it does this, the dome light doesnt come on, just the locks randomly locking and unlocking. If I use the key fob to lock an unlock it makes the lights come on. Its also rainy, drizzly here if that makes a difference. HELP! Dave

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've had probs like that too. Randomly locking & unlocking by itself. Sometimes the lights would flash when using the fob, as they should. Sometimes they wouldn't. Sometimes the fob would not work at all. Found that wiggling the headlight switch would fix it for a while. Replaced the H/L switch, & all is good again.

RCNO

Reaction score
well, this problem is rearing its head again. doors are locking/unlocking again for no reason. I pulled the fuse for the door locks today but it kept doing it....Its weird, at random, the doors will lock and unlock. I have wiggled an played with the hl switch to no avail. Just dont know what to do at this point

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Try taking the fob apart, clean all the contacts & replace the battery in it.
Don't know if that'll work. Just throwing ideas out there.

RCNO

Reaction score
Thanks, anything is worth a shot at this point!

Sent from My a/c thermostat

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Open your drivers door and find the boot covering the wire bundle between the pillar and the door. Carefully roll the boot back and check the bundle to see if you have broken wires in there.

Happened to my 98. After so many years of opening and closing the wires fatigue and break. Then, you end up with shorting that puts power where its not supposed to go. Seems to fit your description of pulling the fuse and somehow the lock solenoids still activate on their own.

Mine was the windows would and would not work with no rhyme or reason to it...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
your truck is clearly haunted. consult your local medium.

:lol:

Man, electrical problems can be some of the biggest pains in the a$$ to figure out sometimes.

RCNO

Reaction score
I have swapped our the relay or " module" as its called in the owners manual. A is the keyless entry, power seats, B is the power windows. Still does it. Took apart my key fob while sitting here typing this an its still doing it.
So far ive pulled the fuse for power door locks, swapped relays an took the battry out of the key fob. Nothing has worked. Anyone know where the keyless entry equipment is located in this truck? Im fixing to do away with it if i can find it!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If it's a gmt400 chassis, steering column bracket:

You must be registered for see images

Not sure if it's a gmt800....

RCNO

Reaction score
Its a 400 body style. Thanks!