hopper door key lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klinger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, is it possible to use the suburban door handle on my c1500. I want a key to unlock everything

(sorry for the english, google translator)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year truck do you have? The early trucks have two keys, the later trucks have a single key. I don't know if the lock cylinders are interchangeable.

Klinger

Reaction score
Sorry for my stupidity, I don't know how to ask properly.

I want to put this door handle in the photo on my 1995 c1500.

Thus, the same key that starts the car opens the tailgate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231011-221737.png
    Screenshot_20231011-221737.png
    493.4 KB · Views: 6

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This door handle in the photo has a key lock

There must be some kind of translation problem...
A c1500 is a pickup truck: 2 doors, both with locks.
The Suburban in the picture will have 5 door handles, 3 of them have key tumblers, the passenger door and rear door/tailgate being the same part number.
The 1995 used the same key to unlock the doors as to turn the ignition tumblers.

Therefore, from the factory, your truck should have the same key. If it doesnt, someone in the last 28 years changed it.

The info given is accurate, now its your turn to find out why you disagree.

By rereading your first statement, the answer is yes and no.
Yes: you can remove the Suburban door handle assembly and install it on your passenger door.
No: the key cylinder will be different than your truck and you WILL NOT have the same key to "unlock everything".

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went back in your history and found a post.

Post in thread 'Hello !!!' https://www.gmt400.com/threads/hello.41433/post-1002693

It kinda sounded like you wanted to retrofit a lockable handle into your tailgate to be able to lock it, so it doesn't get stolen?
Sorry, the 400s don't work that way. Our tailgates don't lock by the handle like newer ones do.

What's even more unusual is your English typing, comprehension, humor, etc. back in 2018 was terrific...
Post in thread 'Brazilian GMT400s' https://www.gmt400.com/threads/brazilian-gmt400s.12965/post-1002565

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would have to remove the handle and base. Then remove the key tumbler, disassemble and reset the pins to the key you want to use. The reassemble .