Door doesn't open well from inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My drivers door is a pita to open with the inner handle. I have to pull it hard and push on the door. It has progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks. It opens fine with the outer handle. Any suggestions? Thanks

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Your inside door handle is stretching. So it takes more effort to pull and open. As he said, it will eventually break. Both of these are a result of worn door hinge pins

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Mine did the same. It's a result of the handle stretching and not unlatching the door latch enough to open smoothly. Eventually the door won't open at all.
I replaced both sides on mine and now the doors open as if new.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya all you need to do is replace the door handles on the inside. It's really not even difficult to do it, the only thing you have to pull off is the bezel that goes around the door handle. And I can gaurantee you the bezel will break so you might as well buy a pair of door handles for 30$ and a pair of bezels for 15$ on eBay and spend a few hours to replace it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Very common problem with the 95+ interiors.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the rod inside the door. I know mine pops out every once in awhile due to the ty locking washer it slides through on the handle

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The clips on the bezel are at 12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock, and release by pushing them to the outside. You can get them to release with something about a 1/2" wide. A screwdriver will work, or what I use, some short pieces of hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off. Do one at a time. Once you get one clip to release, you can keep them from re-attaching themselves by putting a piece of cardboard (folded over a couple of times), behind the outer edges of the bezel.

schwarze_crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a new handle from Rockauto. I am also replacing the door pins. Is there any sort of special tool that makes taking the springs on and off painless. If not, I will probably just try a pair of vise grips.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Go to harbor freight and get a spring unloading tool ($6). They make one specifically for door springs. If you don't have a HF, most auto stores will carry them but they'll be more expensive. Don't use vise grips! Entirely too much tension and you'll end up in the ER. This is one of those tools that you're not going to use a lot, but you need the correct one.

Sent from my Taliban Killing Droid