Does the block really matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
As far as roller provisions and mechanical fuel pump provisions go, that's a crap shoot with the 638. All 880 blocks have roller provisions. There's nothing wrong with a 638 block though. There are some other small differences. 638 blocks are heavier than 880 blocks for a number of reasons. 1 being that the cylinder walls are actually longer.

I will say though, 880 was the most recent, strongest, and lightest block from the factory. It's also the only one they still use to this day.

Also, please just scrap the TBI heads now. Save yourself a lot of anger down the road.

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The vortec rods are stronger and much more accurately cast. If you hold both in your hands, you can see the difference in them. They are tougher than the standard sbc stuff. Im not really sure the specifics of why, but i know they are more desirable than the regular sbc stuff.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
thats really strange, i dont really understand why because staring at both they are entirely identical, both powdered, same caps same rod structure same seams and everything. maybe ill look into that more tomorrow

98_k1500

Reaction score
I think the casting process on them is a little different or something, I'll do some research, but i know there is some difference to them.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Found it, vortec rod is on the right, standard 350 rod on the left.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting a 14010207 block fro a buddy who owns a race team. Engine is already redone and 30 over. Brand new pistons, and bearings. Gonna drop in a 3702 edelbrock cam I think.