Do I need gears??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCORCH

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post his but since its the result of a lift i'll put it here...

I have a 98 GMC sierra half ton ext cab short box and I want a lift and bigger tires but i'm not sure where I'm headed yet. For now I think i'll stick with 33s...possibly 35's down the road but most likely i wont have the truck that long. I have 3.42s, If i run 33's do I have to change gears? (I've heard this is nearly the same thing as running 35s with 3.73s which is always recomended to change gears) If I do swap the gears I want good gas mileage because I'm only a college student making mostly long hauls home and back. I was thinking 4.10's. I'm hopeing if i ever do bump up to 35s this will still not be too hard on the tranny.

Is it really reccomended to do this? (like i said i'm trying to save money but i for sure dont want my tranny to go)
How much would it cost in all for the gears and most likey an install ?(which i heard is reccomened because of the front)

thanks

SlimT

Reaction score
If your just going to be running 33's I'm sure you'll be fine running stock gears. I've had 35's on for a year now with 3.73's, transmission is still in good shape, and still have plenty of power and get just a little worse mileage then when I had 33's. Hope that helps lol.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 92 i have is on 35s with 342s. i dont recomend it but i havnt swaped them out yet. i think youll be fine with 33s and 342s. it just wont have as much off the line accel. and prob get a little worse milage. i think the trans will be fine.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yo need gears, no, will they help yes. if you dont plan on keeping it for long then dont invest in gears. also if you run 33 or 35,s always run the truck in drive, 3rd gear everywhere, only put it in overdrive on the highway. it will help the trans live longer. dosnt really decrease city mileage. I ran my 35's with 3:73 for about a year and my oem trans went out with only 63,000mi on it. only about 6,000 with the 35's. run it in third and the trans will enjoy a longer life

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes good point! i forgot to mention that about the 92. if its in od with that set up it constantly kicks in and out of od.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are trying to save money dont lift the truck dont put big tires on it and dont change the gears.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree if your going to get rid of truck keep what you have.You'll never get your investment of new tires & gears back out of truck

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my old 89 chevy cheyyene 4x4 it had 3.73 gears with locker with 35s had noo problem with it kinda slow in mud ,but pretty good power and trans was in great working order.I changed my gears to 4.11s with 35s and it was a flipping beast in the mud but then i broke the bottom end of them motor and the water locked my trans so i gues i have no room to talk if i broke my truck lol i miss the old hor