distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is there any benfeit of running a after market distributor over just an ac delco or gm performance? its gonna be on my 95. let me know what you guys think. thanks!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I doubt there's much difference, all the spark timing is controlled by the ECM. I picked up an MSD cap and rotor last week, and they are better quality than the factory stuff, that will make more of a difference. They use brass terminals instead of aluminum.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Brass cap and rotor like said above, keep the GM distributor, better quality then ANY aftermarket out there, plus ALL the aftermarket ignition modules die in like 6 months, i always use GM ones from 88-95, still going strong.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea thats what i've herd is the gm ones will out last any after market ones. so when you say the gm one do you mean ac delco? i'm gonna be doing a tune up when i pull my heads off...btw orange i scrapped the the carb idea. just gonna replace head gaskets plugs and distributor and hopefully call it good

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
yea thats what i've herd is the gm ones will out last any after market ones. so when you say the gm one do you mean ac delco? i'm gonna be doing a tune up when i pull my heads off...btw orange i scrapped the the carb idea. just gonna replace head gaskets plugs and distributor and hopefully call it good

i mean a GM one from 88-95, if yours works now, dont replace it, the GM ones barely ever go bad.

Sounds Good, Carbs are not good on a daily.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think there's much difference for the earlier trucks (i.e. pre-96)....but for the vortecs, there is some benefit, especially in reliability.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kinda benefits on these vortecs? i too was thinkin if i should do an ignition upgrade or not

its not like a performance benefit, but the vortec distributors are made of plastic, and the caps and screwed on, so they are prone to stripping/cracking at the mounting points, which can make the cap either not mount right, or not mount at all. there are a few dsitributors out there with aluminum bodies that are much more reliable.