Distributor play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blockbeata09

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 and I have replaced just about everything I can think of but I get random misfiring on different cylinders. I had a misfire on #8 then replaced the cap and button then a week later started missing on #3 so I drove it around for a few weeks and Saturday I messed with the button and now it's missing on #1. I made this video and posted it on YouTube. Is this too much play and should I replace the actual distributor?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Blockbeata09

Reaction score
Well after making this video yesterday I put it back together and it ran awesome so i drove it across town turned the engine off for about 10 minutes and it started up fine again. I drove and got food and it was still running good but this morning I started it and it ran like crap and is missing again on #1?

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after making this video yesterday I put it back together and it ran awesome so i drove it across town turned the engine off for about 10 minutes and it started up fine again. I drove and got food and it was still running good but this morning I started it and it ran like crap and is missing again on #1?
im not an expert but mine does that as well. it runs fine. have you done a spider injector upgrade to it? its not the cheapest thing to do but it worked for me. at idle i could feel a small bump every now and then and when i stepped on the gas to take off very lightly it spuddered for a second. after the new spider its smooth as hell.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you getting any codes other than P030#?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blockbeata09

Reaction score
Are you getting any codes other than P030#?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I was getting misfire on #8 then I changed the cap and button then the misfire moved to #3 so I messed with it again and now I keep getting a misfire on #1

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tough to see what you really have for slop once it climbs, but a worn distributor gear will have your cam offset firmly out of spec. It is to be set at an RPM of 1000-1200 and +/- 2 degrees. Easiest to do if you have access to bidirectional controls.