DISadvantages to higher octane fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Instead of asking if higher octane is better, as the old question goes, I ask this. What are the disadvantages of higher octane fuel?

The Burb is designed for 87 octane, but would higher octane have any negative effects? I'd like to know because the grocery store I shop at offers 10 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend. With a family of 5, I generally see 70 cents off per gallon once a month at fill up. Figure the extra 30 cents for higher octane fuel isnt a big deal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Higher octane means less volatile - so it's harder to ignite. Higher compression engines don't have a problem with this, they are the reason higher octane fuels exist. However, engines with lower compression ratios have a harder time burning this fuel. You will make less power and possibly even lose a little MPG, though both may not even be a measurable amount, at least not in the variable conditions outside of some crazy test lab. What will be measurable though will be the amount of money wasted buying fuel your engine doesn't need and can't properly use.

Richard

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Thats what I figured. Figured I'd ask anyway, real life opnions are always nice.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Yes. Higher octane means less volatile - so it's harder to ignite. Higher compression engines don't have a problem with this, they are the reason higher octane fuels exist. However, engines with lower compression ratios have a harder time burning this fuel. You will make less power and possibly even lose a little MPG, though both may not even be a measurable amount, at least not in the variable conditions outside of some crazy test lab. What will be measurable though will be the amount of money wasted buying fuel your engine doesn't need and can't properly use.

Richard

that exactly^

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You could throw a chip in there that wants higher octane fuel, if you don't mind paying for the fuel. It would have a more aggressive timing advance curve and would wake up the ol' Burb a little bit. Might be a little tough finding a chip these days especially with your combo - 5.7/4L80E, I'd assume most probably had the lighter duty stuff in mind.

Richard

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't most people agree you can advance your timing 3* at the distributor on 87 octane with a stock setup? You should be able to run more with high octane right?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I disagree about bumping up base timing beyond zero at all, on 87 octane. I used to think 2-4 degrees was OK until I drove around with an OTC Genesys hooked up and saw knock counts and knock retard...since then I keep them at zero.

Richard