Diesel pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NO DURAMAX if ur plannin on any mods
YES the allison is a good tranny but if u do a thing to that motor it cant handle it,so ur thinkin bout 6 to 7 k for a suncoast etc etc but is a very powerful engine
12v cummins are stout as motors and if ur wantin to pull down ur town square thatd be ujr best bet but stick only dodges automatics have sucked from the begging
24v cummins are badass motors 01-02 have alot more power than the older 24v,,i prefer the 03 ommon rail 5.9sthere just amazing
6.0 powerstroke ,,proble one of the most powerfull motors but are ****** when it comes to the heads,the motors are lite and can produce alot of power but **** up when it comes to makin em wicked
94-03 1/2 imo the best diesel ever made they r very powerful and will hold up to anything

with any diesel i recommend a 5-6 speed trans,

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing is with most modern diesels modding is unnecesary. They produce enough torque from the factory that what more do you need, unless you like to make smoke and waste fuel. Id get a 03-06 Cummins with a Banks towing powerpack and call it a day. Of course with a standard tranny, the Dodge automatics are a bad (and expensive) joke at best.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
If your on a budget I have some advice for you. The diesel truck you want, you cant afford and the diesel you can afford, you don't want.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea if ur tight on cash a diesel is the last thing u need but the newer diesels have tons and tons of power
more maintinence,parts are more expensive and so are the mechanix

and i agree with an 03-06 common rail

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ what he said. A good diesel is still expensive. Also, god forbid something goes wrong, the parts are ridiculous even if you can do the work yourself. A nice 6L gasser will do the job for towing and the maintenance and upkeep will be fractions of a similar duramax/cummins/powestroke.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
been there done that, here is the best advice that I can give ya, "If ya are making money with the truck, by all means get a diesel, if you are doing all of this as a hobby or just a good ol boy, stay the he!! away from the diesels cause your good ol boys wont be there with their wallets to help get it back up and running". step up to a 6.0l Gasser, damn near a straight swap out, a little tuning - reprogram AND YOU GOT A BUTT LOAD OF TORQUE!!! plus $800 - $1000 here in Kansas gets you a good 6.0l just my bit P.S. 6.0l = 396cid hum? where have I seen that number before???
6.0L Does NOT equal a 396. a 396 is a BBC and a 6.0L is a LS, too TOTALLY different engines. Plus a 6.0L does not equal even close to 396 CID.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
which even the new ones have a cheaper interior than a mid 80's Pontiac.
ou ar
Easy on the Pontiac Jokes pal!, I had an 87' Grand Prix (350 v8), that old G-Body had the finest interiors of all the G-Bodies, if you are going to make fun of interiors, you should say "Cheaper than an 88-94 Chevy Trucks interior".

:lol:

6.0L Does NOT equal a 396. a 396 is a BBC and a 6.0L is a LS, too TOTALLY different engines. Plus a 6.0L does not equal even close to 396 CID.

True, 6.0 = 366 Cubic Inches

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
366= beast from every 366 ive seen, including the one in my cousins rat rod but back to diesels, yes the 03 common rails are a great motor with lots of power with just a programmer and exhaust but you will need a clutch or something