Diesel Fuel Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any difference between the gas 25 gal tank and the diesel gal tank?? the reason I'm asking is, is that I'm putting in a 12valve in my truck and i was wondering if it would be cheaper to replace my gas tank and swap in the diesel one

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know whether the tank will work or not but you should have a 26 gallon tank in a short bed or a 34 gallon in a long bed.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
its either 25 or 26 idk off the top of my head. but apparently the tanks are the same. but are the filler tubes different in size? bc the diesel fuel pump at the gas station is like an inch and a half across and the gas one is smaller. or maybe I'm just a tard... :lol:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Baffle in the tank is the only difference. It shouldn't make a difference though. You won't have to worry about a zinc coating or anything in the gas tank. They don't have them so you'll be good to go.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its either 25 or 26 idk off the top of my head. but apparently the tanks are the same. but are the filler tubes different in size? bc the diesel fuel pump at the gas station is like an inch and a half across and the gas one is smaller. or maybe I'm just a tard... :lol:

Some gas stations do have the smaller style diesel nozzels at 1 specific pump. If anything either find a different filler tube or make the current hole bigger.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure about chevy's and whatnot, but on newer diesel's they don't have the fuel pump. They are on a rail system.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm not sure about chevy's and whatnot, but on newer diesel's they don't have the fuel pump. They are on a rail system.
Every diesel has the fuel pump on the engine. Rather it be a LBZ Duramax with a CP3 pump that feed's the common rails, a 6BT 12v with an inline cam pump that feeds the injectors, or a 2 stroke Detroit that has the pump right on each individual injector.

For your 12v you won't need a sending unit. Just take your stock gas fuel pump, cut all the **** off so the flow and vent are still there, and put 2 pipes in it. One for feed and one for return.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
also what about the sending unit in the tank? if i change that out to the 6.5 one would it let me use my factory fuel gauge?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
a 6.5 sender has a pickup tube and sock filter along with gauge sender, a gas sender has the pump instead of a tube, you just swap to the 6.5 sender unit

the 6.5 used a frame mounted low pressure lift pump to move fuel to the injector pump

the gas trucks had a restricter in the filler neck that will keep you from using big nozzles at the pump, a diesel one is wide open and has a 3/4 hose that runs back into the filler tube to kind of deal with foaming while filling