Did GM ever make this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carguy502

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am attempting a LO5 5.7 / 5 speed swap into an S10 in The Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia. Obviously, this means that there is no logic or actual attention paid to reducing emissions, only that vehicle and engine classifications and emissions match.

I have searched on this site and know that there is some good Carlifornia Engine Changes / Swaps, but the only thing I cannot find is if there was a 5.7 offered with a 5 speed in 2wd configuration (because is needs to be light duty to go into an S10 equipped) with California emissions from 1993-1995 (I want to stay OBD1).

Does anyone have a VIN & Emissions sticker for such a vehicle? Did this truck even exist?

Thank you all in advance!
Don

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am attempting a LO5 5.7 / 5 speed swap into an S10 in The Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia. Obviously, this means that there is no logic or actual attention paid to reducing emissions, only that vehicle and engine classifications and emissions match.

I have searched on this site and know that there is some good Carlifornia Engine Changes / Swaps, but the only thing I cannot find is if there was a 5.7 offered with a 5 speed in 2wd configuration (because is needs to be light duty to go into an S10 equipped) with California emissions from 1993-1995 (I want to stay OBD1).

Does anyone have a VIN & Emissions sticker for such a vehicle? Did this truck even exist?

Thank you all in advance!
Don
GM did build a 350/5spd in 93-95 but the 350/5spd trucks used the older P3 style 160 baud ECM where the 4.3Ls used the P4 style PCM.

Does your S10 have the PCM under the dash or does it have the underhood unit with the Vortec plastic timing cover, crank sensor and crab style distributor cap?

carguy502

Reaction score
GM did build a 350/5spd in 93-95 but the 350/5spd trucks used the older P3 style 160 baud ECM where the 4.3Ls used the P4 style PCM.

Does your S10 have the PCM under the dash or does it have the underhood unit with the Vortec plastic timing cover, crank sensor and crab style distributor cap?
The S10 in question is a 2.8 TBI / 5 speed truck (no electronic transmission control). The PCM is located under the dash, although I have not pulled it yet to check for OEM Numbers.

I would assume this S10 truck uses the older PCM, as it is not a CPI or Auto.

carguy502

Reaction score
The S10 never had a factory V8 that I've ever heard of, if that's what you mean.

No, apparently a light truck is a light truck by CA rules, so he's wanting to put a CA emissions certified GMT-400 powertrain in an S10... or at least that's my understanding of this thread.
There were no factory v8 S10 trucks, ever, to the best of my understanding.

454cid is correct. I am looking for a 1993-95 California emissions 5.7 / manual trans in a light duty C1500. There seems to be consensus that GM made such trucks, but I need to get an image of an Emissions tag to find out what emission equipment is required and a VIN of a factory example of this truck for a smog ref to say, "yes, you can do that".