Detonation explaination needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I have a stock 350, with ACDelco plugs, timing was checked yesterday its correct 0degrees, i run reg fuel but on my way to victoria it would detonate bad on the hills, isnt detonation from running low octane fuel on a higher compression motor? ive tried running half 91 octane, idles better but still sounds like a diesel when on hills.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sounds like the distributer gear may be worn. Pretty common. It'll run fine until you put a load on it, then due to the worn teeth, you're not getting full advance.

redneckchevy90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's the mine is. cruising no sound what so ever. the second I hit the gas it sounds like a freaking deisel. my question is how much would just a reg dizzy cost. my truck is mostly stock and I don't plan on hoping it up

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another note to consider...

idk how many miles ur sbc has or the type of driving conditions its been suceptible to, but when u checked the timing (with the esc disconected if its tbi), if the indicator on the crank was iratic, that could indicate a worn timing chain aswell

MazingerZ

Reaction score
Hi, I have a stock 350, with ACDelco plugs, timing was checked yesterday its correct 0degrees, i run reg fuel but on my way to victoria it would detonate bad on the hills, isnt detonation from running low octane fuel on a higher compression motor? ive tried running half 91 octane, idles better but still sounds like a diesel when on hills.

I am experiencing these symptoms, did you get around fixing the issue? please advice.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Possible causes for detonation when using correct fuel grade for engine (87 is correct for a TBI), pretty much in order of likelihood:

- Incorrect base timing (original poster is at zero though which is correct)
- Bad EGR valve (non-functional)
- Low fuel pressure due to clogged filter or failing pump
- Overheating
- Carbon deposits in combustion chamber (not very likely)

Richard