Delay Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illsley1983

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I have a 1989 Chevrolet K-1500. My wiper setup has always got on my nerves, I only have low/high and off. I would like to put intermittant wipers in my truck. What do I need? New motor or just a controller? Obviously I will need a new wiper/signal lever. Has anyone done this modification before?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
So your truck just has Low/High/Off on the stalk? I've never seen that before. What does the harness look like going into the wiper motor? If it's the same as the interval setup all you may need is the stalk and a newer style wiper motor as I don't think you can get/swap boards on the older brick style.

Illsley1983

Reaction score
Yeah, that's all it has. Kind of a strange setup. I haven't looked at it in depth yet, just trying to get an idea of what I may need to do the switch over.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's been forever since I messed with one of the early GMT400's without intermittent wipers, but I am 99% sure that you will need:

Intermittent wiper motor (get one from 1991-up, easier to fix/replace the pulse board when needed)

(Easy route) column from a truck that was equipped with intermittent wipers. I say this because the switch inside the column is different, not just the multifunction lever. Keep in mind that on 88-94 the wiper switch is not built into the lever. The lever just actuates a switch inside the column. The non-intermittent switch will not have the positions for the delay speeds.

Or, slightly more difficult route, replace the switch inside your column, and of course replace the multifunction lever.

I *could* be mistaken on that but I believe once you look into it you'll find this is correct.

Richard

Illsley1983

Reaction score
It's been forever since I messed with one of the early GMT400's without intermittent wipers, but I am 99% sure that you will need:

Intermittent wiper motor (get one from 1991-up, easier to fix/replace the pulse board when needed)

(Easy route) column from a truck that was equipped with intermittent wipers. I say this because the switch inside the column is different, not just the multifunction lever. Keep in mind that on 88-94 the wiper switch is not built into the lever. The lever just actuates a switch inside the column. The non-intermittent switch will not have the positions for the delay speeds.

Or, slightly more difficult route, replace the switch inside your column, and of course replace the multifunction lever.

I *could* be mistaken on that but I believe once you look into it you'll find this is correct.

Richard

Great! Thanks for the Info!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No prob. Did a little parts # checking and yes, the switch inside the column for 88-94 is different for the two setups. 7835628 "w/o pulse", 26043111 "w/pulse"

Not fun to go inside the column to replace this, so if you happen to find a donor truck for the whole column, that may be the way to go. Also a great opportunity to swap a tilt column if your truck doesn't already have that. Just watch for ones with a really worn tilt knuckle; most can be tightened back up but that's a little bit of effort (not bad), however if it's been let go like that a very long time, parts inside can be damaged.

Richard