Defroster works on passenger side, not on driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a better thread to post this in, if so please let me know.

A friend of mine has a 95 c1500 pickup with the smaller v8 (305?). The defrost setting only seems to be working on the pass side. Is that a mode door issue? Has anyone here seen this before and if so, what was the problem?

Last edited:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The mode door tends to warp and the seal on it disintegrates. You usually will notice that some air comes out the defroster all the time on any setting. The fix is to remove the dash and replace the door which is serviced as the top of the heater box.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mode door tends to warp and the seal on it disintegrates. You usually will notice that some air comes out the defroster all the time on any setting. The fix is to remove the dash and replace the door which is serviced as the top of the heater box.

Sweet baby Jesus, that sounds like a ton of work...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cost me about $800 per truck in parts and labor at my mechanic. Happened to both of my '97s.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any ideas for a jury-rigged solution? I'm thinking a piece of plastic and a small fan on the dash to redirect some of the air coming out of the passenger side but I'm not sure how well that would work, if at all. I don't have much faith in the 12v mini heaters you can buy. My friend has already told me that he wants to give me his truck when he gets a new one, so I'll eventually go through the pain of removing the dash and fixing it the right way. I just don't want him to be in danger when driving in a snow storm or on a really cold day.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Cost me about $800 per truck in parts and labor at my mechanic. Happened to both of my '97s.

oh God.......i need the whole box replaced in my '98.......all my doors are screwed in one way or another. i was looking to do it myself, but i'm not motivated for this job..........and right now i can't afford to pay attention. the first money i get will go toward my flywheel.

i saw a youtube on the job........quite the pain in the ass.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i'm not motivated for this job

Tell me about it...

I believe you were the one who called me "captain torque wrist" in the headlight thread ages ago for breaking the corners off of my parking lights. :lol: Giant chunks of brittle old plastic and me is a bad combo. I just know if I had tried to do these myself I would've screwed things up way worse than they were before I started.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Tell me about it...

I believe you were the one who called me "captain torque wrist" in the headlight thread ages ago for breaking the corners off of my parking lights. :lol: Giant chunks of brittle old plastic and me is a bad combo. I just know if I had tried to do these myself I would've screwed things up way worse than they were before I started.

LMAO.....yup.

i actually somehow laid under there with a mirror and managed to pop one door back in.....spent a long time on my back and upside down to try it. the bolts in my back were the deciding factor to stop.......after the actuator spring **** thing fell apart i gave up.........err, conceded to the fact that this was a bad idea. i have it sorta set to work fine for the winter. had the dash taped off because the A/C was fogging up my windshield this past summer.......i'll be paying my guy to do this job for me.