Dash brake light come on when i depress the brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98DDiesel

Reaction score
Ok I have a problem (duh) My 90 Chevy 2500 when I depress the brake pedal the dash light for brake comes on. And when im off the brake a few min later the light will go off. I have brakes it stops fine. I see no leaks. Master cylinder is full. What could it be? PO of the truck changed out the rear brakes. Its got me stumped. Thanks in advance.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just a suggestion. Try adjusting the rear brakes. The self-adjusters in there are poop. If the rears aren't adjusted properly, the shoes end up having to travel too much, which makes the system think that the brakes are worn out, triggering that warning light.

98DDiesel

Reaction score
Usually, that light means a leak, MC is NFG, etc...or the parking brake is on

I have checked the fluids and they are staying the same. I have looked and haven't noticed an leaks. Parking brake is not on I double and triple checked that. Thanks for the info.

Just a suggestion. Try adjusting the rear brakes. The self-adjusters in there are poop. If the rears aren't adjusted properly, the shoes end up having to travel too much, which makes the system think that the brakes are worn out, triggering that warning light.

That's a good idea I will have to try that and see if it works. Thanks for that advise. Never thought about trying to adjust the rear brakes since the truck stops fine. But makes total since they could not adjusted properly. I will report back when I get a change to adjust them. Thanks guys