Cutting/Trimming a Bedliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck came with a GM OEM (I think) bedliner, the kind that goes over the rails.

In order to fit a canopy, I had to remove the bedliner. However, it did such a great job of protecting the truck bed, that I want to trim it and put it back in, even though I know it will allow stuff to slide all over.

Anybody got any experience, or failing that, ideas on how to cut this plastic material so it looks decent once it's done?

Thanks in advance.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
3" abrasive cut off disc on air grinder, if you are making 'windows' for the clamps. You can always use a single cut burr or a flap wheel to smooth the edges if you desire.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tools that I have do not include a "multi-tool", but I do have a good Dremel. I'm not concerned with how fast I can do this job, so I'm going to get a cut off wheel for the Dremel and give that a try. I guess I could use my 4 inch angle grinder, but it would be a bit rougher, and possibly harder to handle.

Thanks for the tips.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK--job done. Used the angle grinder with a 4 inch diamond wheel. Tried an abrasive cut off wheel first, but it wanted to bog down in the plastic. The diamond wheel made a nice neat cut, and was easy to keep on the line.

Word of warning: produces a major amount of dust. You practically need to be in an air suit to do this.

I think for the clamps, I'll use a hole saw to make the cuts I need, and do it right in place, with a piece of wood behind the plastic to protect the truck.