Cutting off sporatically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It did it three times yesterday morning. At lunch, I took the ground wire off the thermostat housing, wire brushed everything, and put it back on. I gave all the plugs on the ecu a good wiggle. It hasn't done it since, but I hate to claim victory after such a short time.

Edit...

No victory yet. This died on the way home for lunch. Still losing electrical because the radio dies too. Cut out and came right back while running about 30 mph.

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check the power and ground cable connections at the starter and block. If your loosing everything, it has to be cutting battery power or ground someplace.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Check the power and ground cable connections at the starter and block. If your loosing everything, it has to be cutting battery power or ground someplace.

I'm going to check all those this weekend. It's something simple, wherever it is. The trick is finding it.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is somehow moisture related. We have been having a lot of rain since it started doing this. The last couple of days, it has sprinkled a couple of times, but not a washout. It hasn't done it as much the last couple of days, but it happened once yesterday.

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
After 2 days of nothing, it cut off 3 times on the way back to work at lunch. This time, it was total power (lost stereo settings). This points me in a different direction than it just being ignition power. I guess the previous times it was so quick that the stereo held the settings. This time, it lost everything. I reset the stereo, and it cut out again.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Pulled battery cables and cleaned connections. Pulled alternator wire and cleaned. Pulled main power wire to fuse box and cleaned. Pulled main ground cable from block and cleaned.

We'll see what happens.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Hope its fixed. I can't think of anything else that there would be something that would cause that kind of issue.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hope its fixed. I can't think of anything else that there would be something that would cause that kind of issue.

Only time will tell.

The fact that in the beginning I wasn't losing the memory stuff on the stereo was making me think in a different direction. On Friday it was all power loss and everything on the stereo reset. I guess earlier the break in power was so quick that it didn't affect that.

None of the connections looked that bad. When I wire brushed the connection at the fuse box, I did see some dust coming off where there was some corrosion. Maybe that was it.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
While I am hesitant to declare victory (and piss off the auto repair gods), it hasn't cut off on me since I worked on it Saturday. I really think it was the wire going to the fuse block.

CAPTNDAVIE

Reaction score
I'm going to have to check my cables too. I've had this same issue before but only one time and it's been awhile back.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It's been fine all week. I'd say, "Mission accomplished".