Cuts out when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure is at 6psi
That's way too low, it s/b 9 - 13 PSI according to GM. Closer to 13 is better. If you find you need to change the fuel pump. get an EP381 out of a 96 Vortec truck, it's a direct swap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s obd1 how do I get live data?
Use an OBD-1 SCAN TOOL instead of a "code reader". I detailed what info is available on my '88 K1500 in a post on another forum. Post #15, but the back-story is kinda humorous.

Any "real" scan tool can do this, going back to 1980 1/2 computer-controlled GM except for maybe the T-body (Chevette junk.) Older vehicles have less data available, and little-or-no bi-directional control...but all sensor data should be there.

www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

Fuel pressure is at 6psi
As said--way too low (IF your gauge is accurate.) Assure that the pump is being supplied with proper voltage by testing the voltage AS CLOSE TO THE PUMP AS PRACTICAL. Generally, this is at the most-rearward electrical connector before the harness goes up 'n' over the tank. The pump MUST be RUNNING when you check the voltage.

Low voltage can cause low fuel pressure. So can a partially-plugged fuel filter.

Last edited: