Cut off cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It won't harm your engine it must have been something else that messed up the members engine that had no Cat.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Cold air next to hot exhaust valves is what I've always thought burnt valves....how it got there is what the member with burnt valves will need to tell us. If too free-flowing exhaust, then the swirling exhaust air could've pulled outside air back up to exhaust ports. Leaking exhaust flange possibly could've done it, but the pipes woulda told on him(pop on deceleration).

90bowtie, yes, your thread got derailed, hahaha. I'll look at that cat but I will tell you now that the saying "you get what you pay for" applies alot to automotive parts. Especially with cats, some use cheaper internal metals(instead of pure platinum; an alloy of it), or sometimes the internals are just rolls of screen(aka dummy cats).

90bowtie

Reaction score
"you get what you pay for"

Oh I know that quote all too well,and yea that cat does look like it could be a very good use for a dummy.We dont have echecks here anymore but there is talk of them coming back.
How much does a stock cat really do I wonder compared to an aftermarket?
Anyway I'm not 100% what route I'm gonna take yet,put on a cat and delete the flowmaster....delete the cat and find a nice sounding muffler,or go all out and go long tubes with true duals. :shrug:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
true duals of unequal length will give it an interesting sound and the pipes will talk separately at different rpms. It will sometimes sound like a stereo left/right/left/right/etc effect. If ya run a small x-pipe(or even a cutaway shared pipe) right where the dual pipes start to run next to each other, it will equal it out alot and help with scavenging. A dual in/dual out turbo muffler with built-in cross-over design has the x-pipe built-in....gotta check the exploded views of different mufflers to see if they're crossover or straight thru(requires external x-pipe). The internal piping on crossover will look like 'X' while the straight thru will look like '||'.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have ran my 91 without a cat for 5 years now. I have never had any problems with a check engine light or anything. I do however have a flowmaster muffler.