Cruise not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which section to post this in exactly. So here's the story; yesterday I changed my clutch master cyl on my 95 (for the 6th or 7th time) I didn't notice any wire interference when removing it. Got it all together and bled and it shifts great, but I got on the highway and went to set the cruise, nothing. I looked under the hood and there was a blue wire next to the cc box and master cyl that was broken off from something. It's bundled (if I remember correctly) with an orange wire. But I have no idea where this blue wire goes! Any help would be appreciated!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Do you have the Towing PKG.? If so those two wires are probably for a trailer plug/connector and run to the rear of the truck.The blue wire is for a brake controller and the orange?(usually red)is for power to the trailer's battery.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
All it has is the standard z71 hitch setup. No brake controller, just the four pin light connector. The wire IS orange and the blue one doesn't look to have recently been cut. It may not have anything to do with the cruise. I drive a lot of straight 55mph roads and cruise would be nice

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Check and see if the truck will crank without pressing the clutch. It may think you have the clutch pressed all the time, causing the cruise not to set. Also pick up on your brake pedal and try to set it. I know some of these trucks have brake pedal switch issues and it affects the cruise.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
The clutch switch is two weeks old and operating properly. It doesn't help when I pull up on brake, but I don't think that completely rules out the switch. Its weird it worked perfectly two days ago and then yesterday it quit...

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What fixed my cruise was the brake switch. Not sure why that happened but was a cheap fix and also fixed my torque converter from locking up, now works. I think mine was around $20 or so.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
All it has is the standard z71 hitch setup. No brake controller, just the four pin light connector. The wire IS orange and the blue one doesn't look to have recently been cut. It may not have anything to do with the cruise. I drive a lot of straight 55mph roads and cruise would be nice

Those are the trailer wiring installed by the factory. Nothjg to do with cruise circuit.

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
What fixed my cruise was the brake switch. Not sure why that happened but was a cheap fix and also fixed my torque converter from locking up, now works. I think mine was around $20 or so.

I had the same issue back with my 89 not locking up. It thought the brakes were on but wasn't enought to set the brakes lights off.

Is there anyway to test the brake switch? I've put a lot of money into this truck, I hate throwing parts at it.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn`t tell you if how to test it. Your brake lights can still come on even if it has gone wrong. (Because this switch is dual circuit; one for the brakes, other for cruise-TCC)

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
if i can jump on here i got a ?? if everything is assumed good,,how do you test and check the cruise unit under the hood??:driver::cheers: