Cracked Transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68post

Reaction score
the transfer case has a huge crack in it, pretty sure it's been there the whole time I've had it because I've never seen it leak at all. Went to put fluid in it today and it ran straight out the bottom, idk how long its been empty for. It's on the back of the case and to me it looks like I can just take the back cover off and put some JB weld on both sides. Any advice to what you guys would do or how to take the back cover off
You must be registered for see images attach

If your case broke because of the snap-ring inside the tailhousing went - I'd look into installing a "case saver" in the replacement before installing it,(if this is one on those transfer cases that are prone to this).
You don't want the chance of it happening again !

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
yan you explain that? whats a case saver? and how do i figure out why it broke?

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replacing that case is super easy and you can get the gasket from any dealer. I have done them numerous times by myself. The unit only weighs around 100 or so pounds so you can litterally bench press it in there and get a bolt on while your doing it. Just replace the whole case. They are pretty cheap too.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
replacing that case is super easy and you can get the gasket from any dealer. I have done them numerous times by myself. The unit only weighs around 100 or so pounds so you can litterally bench press it in there and get a bolt on while your doing it. Just replace the whole case. They are pretty cheap too.

Yah thats prob what ill do do you know what that guy is talking about snap rings and case savers?