Cowl hood guys - Insulator or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
For anyone running a Cowl hood... Do you have an insulator/heat shield installed? Pros / Cons?

Thanks

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
haha I don't have a cowl hood but I don't have the insulator installed on my Denali hood.... the only downfall I see is the hood gets hotter than average hood from engine temps

sent from the c1500 Denali

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I've been wondering how hot. On a hot day like today (90 here), after driving around for an hour or so, I wonder what the outside of the hood temp would be. Anyone have an IR Thermometer?

Any issues with paint?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my stock insulation on my cowl hood after I painted it and i can tell the difference by feel after driving it

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had my cowl hood on for a few yrs, two of which have been here I Texas. Although the hood gets hot, it's no hotter than the rest of the truck. A month or so ago, I just did a wax and clay bar on it, and paint is perfectly fine.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I've had my cowl hood on for a few yrs, two of which have been here I Texas. Although the hood gets hot, it's no hotter than the rest of the truck. A month or so ago, I just did a wax and clay bar on it, and paint is perfectly fine.

And I guess you don't have the inlsulator?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put my insulator back on my cowl hood last week. Biggest thing I noticed was the sound of the engine was less noticeable.