courtesy/dome light flickering while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure whats causing it, im guessing a short somewhere, but my courtesy and dome lights in my 96' flicker on and off after driving for a couple minutes, and it makes a clicking noise while its doing it, and on one drunken night a buddy of mine noticed that when you punch next to my slide out cupholder it blinks, any idea what could cause it or how to fix it? i also noticed theres a couple of wires on the ignition harness that have breaks in the insulation, but as i said, idk much about where the wires are ran or hooked up at, im an electrical idiot

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like the door switch, one on each side of the dash L&R arent fully depressing to shut light off

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty sure they are going down all the way when the door is closed, because it has the little raised piece just to press on it, but if it where a loose ground, where would it be grounded at? all 3 lights blink at the same time, and it makes a flickering noise, also forgot to mention, if i slam the brakes they stay on until i let off, then dont light up for a few seconds after, i have a video of it, if i can figure out how to post it

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure where they ground,i would pop them out of the dash and follow the two wires look for any cracks or chaffed areas,it also could be a bad switch on either side,also check the roll switch on the headlight switch and make sure that not half into the position to turn interior lights on,also does it do it with the headlights off?

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i already checked the roll knob, and im not sure if it does it with the lights off, because i ride with them on all the time, i may have to put a bulb in and see if it does it with them off, but im pretty sure it does, and also makes me wonder, why do they blink when you bump the dash by the cupholder? i pulled the faceplate and couldnt see andwire running near there, but didnt try tracing the wires

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my dimmer switch works fine, but how could i test to see if its bad....besides changing them out

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats really the only way to test IIRC. I'm leaning towards the door switches. When they go bad they can do funny things.