Couple Fuel Pump Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

The pump in my GMC is original at 130K, so I figure I might as well replace it at some point before it fails, as they all will. Is AC Delco the best route to go, or is Delphi or BOSCH a better option? I figure, if the original is still going at 130K, (theoretically) I ought to be good another 130K. Seeing how I only put a few thousand on it a year anyways, it'll likely be the last one I need. Which brand do you guys recommend?

I also noticed on RockAuto that the fuel strainers mention w/o High Temp Sending Unit and w/ High Temp Sending Unit. Does anyone know which one came installed in these trucks? I can't imagine what difference there would be, but I want to order the correct strainer.

What is the best method for removing the old one? Is tilting the bed easier, or dropping the tank (if it's low on fuel)? Is there a way I can bypass the safety cut off and keep the pump running with the key on and engine off to pump all the fuel out of the tank?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I think you're better off with the Delco or Delphi. I've heard the others don't last that long. Can't help you with the strainers. As far as the removal, you're best bet would be to remove the bed mount bolts and sliding it back till you get access.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can just slide the bed back? I did not know that. Well shoot. What all do I have to disconnect in order to do this? Do the tail light wires and such have enough slack to slide the bed back a foot or so?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You will have to disconnect the tail lights and filler neck for the gas tank. i believe there's a ground wire attached to the neck too. Check the rear end to see if anything is attached back there to the bed.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC, taking the bed off is simple as: 8 bed bolts, 3 filler neck bolts and 1 ground, and un-plugging your tail lights under the bumper (or you can unplug them from the back of the lights and drop the harness down if someone has hard-wired them). Get a buddy to help you slide it back 12-18" and you're in business.

I'd go for a delphi or delco one myself. If your float and sending unit still works you can save a bunch of $ and just order the pump instead of the assembly.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Just be careful if you slide the bed back that you don't bend the bottom of the bed panel with the tires (I've experienced this lol), last time I did this I used a cherry picker engine hoist and ran chains to the 4 corner stake pockets and it worked good (shortbed). If you really wanna be lazy, you can cut an access hatch in the bed above the fuel pump. If I remember right, you have to remove the rear bumper to slide the bed back, but it still beats dropping the tank, because once you put the pump in, you can make sure its operational by starting the truck before putting the bed back, as opposed to having to bolt the tank back up before you find out if the pump is good or wired up correctly.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
changed mine out yesterday with a delphi i have heard bad reviews on other brands of fuel pumps