Cost of Body Work and a New Paint Job??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats a shop price,and what if the guy has been a painter for 25 plus years and works out of a shop at his house to make some cash on the side and doesnt rape ya like alot of places do.you younger guys are f-ing know it alls there are some people in this world that do a great job and dont charge thru the roof and your getting the same quality of work.

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know people that have been painters forever and do it at home and still dont do good work.

One guy I know had his 66 mustang painted by a guy who has been doing body work and paint for over 35 years he claims. Ended up paying the guy 6 grand and it looked horrible. So many runs there was strings of clear hanging off in spots, dirt in it. The actual body work was mediocre.

Our shop is small and we dont bend people over on prices, but you cant make money doing stuff for next to nothing either. If you want good work, most of the time you are going to pay for good work.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most people dont know enough to spot a bad paint job anyway so in a lot of cases it doesnt matter.

lmao thats the truth. my first paint job was on my 79 camaro. i was so embarassed of it i didnt drive it for a month. but i was always getting compliments on the paint job. it was horrible

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lmao thats the truth. my first paint job was on my 79 camaro. i was so embarassed of it i didnt drive it for a month. but i was always getting compliments on the paint job. it was horrible
Yea Ive seen "show cars" with paint jobs that I wouldnt accept on my daily driver.

Heres a car I saw at a dealership a few weeks ago. I didnt look at it up close to see the quality of it but my guess is if they were OK with giving it back to a customer with the color looking like this they probably werent top notch with the rest of it. It could've been some hack job just to fix it and send to auction I dunno. Obviously the buyer for this dealership didnt notice it.

You must be registered for see images attach

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea Ive seen "show cars" with paint jobs that I wouldnt accept on my daily driver.

Heres a car I saw at a dealership a few weeks ago. I didnt look at it up close to see the quality of it but my guess is if they were OK with giving it back to a customer with the color looking like this they probably werent top notch with the rest of it. It could've been some hack job just to fix it and send to auction I dunno. Obviously the buyer for this dealership didnt notice it.

You must be registered for see images attach
Damn that's terrible!

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just now noticed that the key is in the door too. lol That yellow tag flapping in the wind off the handle is the ID tag for the car, attached to the key.

hahaha a lotta people like the color change shading
Yea maybe that cost extra.

"Would you like it silver or more of a dark graphite?"
"Both!"

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some people just plain should not be allowed near a paint gun. when it comes to a shop your gonna get what ya pay for. like stated above tho, if you can find a professional that does good work on the side, you can get a great paint job for very reasonable. the guy that taught me works for a body shop and does it on the side too. basically does body work 24/7. i keep tellin him to do the math on what he charges and what he spends on material because sometimes im not sure hes makin money lol. does awesome work tho

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For $2k you would lucky around here just to get someone to shoot paint for you......but you would be doing the sanding, cleaning and masking. I wouldnt trust a $2k paintjob unless its a wheeling vehicle that youre just trying to make one color.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For $2k you would lucky around here just to get someone to shoot paint for you......but you would be doing the sanding, cleaning and masking. I wouldnt trust a $2k paintjob unless its a wheeling vehicle that youre just trying to make one color.
It's the same here!