Corvette Servo DISASTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes servo travel should be checked. doing something like installing a longer pin is a bandaid fix until the owner can save up for a rebuild or new vehicle. who knows if a fix like this would have worked for a few days or years....
Hard to fix a bullet wound with a bandaid, lol

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have some seen/fixed some units where the servo travel was so wide putting in a longer pin fixed the unit. this is usually units that flare on the 2-3 shift. if the previous builder didn't care or didn't check servo travel this is definitely a good fix if you know the unit hasn't slipped. but to fix a worn band it's definitely a bandaid fix and YMMV.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have some seen/fixed some units where the servo travel was so wide putting in a longer pin fixed the unit. this is usually units that flare on the 2-3 shift. if the previous builder didn't care or didn't check servo travel this is definitely a good fix if you know the unit hasn't slipped. but to fix a worn band it's definitely a bandaid fix and YMMV.
offhand, I don't remember what the clearance number was but there's definitely a specification for it. Also don't remember if it was in ATSG as well as the paperwork included with the part. I pretty much leave od transmissions to the trans guys these days.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

But I ASSume that fix involved measuring. I vaguely recall that being called out when I did my servo and shift kit. My shifts were fine though, so I deburred and reused the original pin.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
offhand, I don't remember what the clearance number was but there's definitely a specification for it. Also don't remember if it was in ATSG as well as the paperwork included with the part. I pretty much leave od transmissions to the trans guys these days.
yes i think GM wants like 1/8" or more. don't use factory specs here you want .060" to .080" max on a new band.

But I ASSume that fix involved measuring. I vaguely recall that being called out when I did my servo and shift kit. My shifts were fine though, so I deburred and reused the original pin.
yes i always measure with dial indicator. i just put my DIY shift kit into a 4L60E that's going into my late 80s caprice with an LT1 (gen2). The servo travel was .090" on a used band and existing pin, so i sent it.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I bet I fried the trans. It does have 2nd though. New trans time

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not measure servo travel because as you guys said it was a bandaid for about a month, but seems like I dont get to wait a month now.

I stopped as soon as I noticed something was wrong and had my brother bring trans fluid. But it may have been too late.

I had a 2-3 flare shift so I'm wondering if the old fluid was holding the clutches together and losing all of it and putting new stuff in killed it.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it is fried it's because you drove on it 2 quarts low. even 1 quart low is enough to fry the transmiss. old fluid with clutch material in it is a myth.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting new transmission in an hour! Old one is like 90% of the way out. Only things left to do is drop the crossmember, support the trans and bell housing bolts.